Monday, January 29, 2018

Lucky month

January started off abysmally.  Ten or so consecutive losing poker sessions, then the heart attack.  They say when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.  Good advice.  Nonetheless figured eventually the worm had to turn.  So, finally booked a $200 cash game win.  Yee-ha!!!  Then yesterday playing in the $4/8 Omaha game a miracle happened.  I was stuck about $200 on a very active table with lots of raising going on.  No high hands for me, and only 2 at our table after almost 4 hours of play.  Then, playing 10/10/x/x I got a good but not great flop, 10/9/8 with the 9/8 suited in hearts.  I had the 10 of hearts in my hand.  There was betting and several callers.  The turn brought the case 10 and when it was checked to me I bet and got two callers, probably the worst players at the table.  The river was the 5 of hearts and a player bet into me.  I raised, one caller, then a re-raise.  I thought briefly, decided he had an under-full so i capped it.  They both called.  The first bettor turned over the 6/7 of hearts for the 9 high straight flush, beating my quads.  Bad Beat!!!!!  I lost the $200 pot and the high hand worth $150 but got a consolation prize, half the bad beat jackpot of $5900.  There were lots of high 5's as the straight flush got 25% and the other 25% was split among 5 players, $300  each.  My $2950 got paid about an hour later after withholding paperwork was signed, cards counted and picked up, drivers licenses recorded, etc.  First bad beat jackpot I have been involved with and only the 2nd I have seen.  It resets to $5000, someone said it had recently been hit.  You know what, I don't care.  It capped off my "lucky" month.  Lucky to be alive, and lucky to get out of the hole.  It also felt good to give a giant tip the older lady dealer who has been very kind and friendly to me.

The greens are $25, row of blacks $100 chips (20 of them), reds are $5, blue $1.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice!!
It's always good when your luck changes for the better.
Come see us when you can. :)

7 Dewey said...

That's totally awesome and couldn't happen to a nicer guy. So happy for you. I wish they had any bad beats around here.