Friday, January 26, 2018

Birthday Boy Bubble

In my first poker outing since my heart event decided to play local turbo event.  I sort of like this one, $40 entry, 4000 chips, 16 minute levels.  It was a small turnout, only 28 players, paying 5 places with around $900 prize pool.  I played well, surviving multiple shoves and made the final table.  When we were down to 7, the chip leader suggested paying 2 bubbles.  Only one disagreed, so we played on.  He was eliminated next (karma???), so then the bubble idea was again floated.  This time some grizzled old guy said something about a previous tournament that wouldn't  pay him, so he vetoed it.  As a super short stack 2k with blind 2/4 k I was just looking to survive.  I got dumb, throwing in my last chips in early position (pocket 4's) with the big blind also super short.  The button, aforementioned no bubble jerk, min raised to put him in too. He wisely folded despite having over half his chips already committed.  The button had pocket aces and I was done.  Just a few minutes before the guy was short, all in with 2/6 and got lucky.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you are back at the tables.
Hope you are feeling better.

7 Dewey said...

That's a bummer. I don't think shoving with pocket 4s was a bad idea considering you were probably ahead of most hands in your position. You just can't beat luck.

I woke up last Saturday & said to myself, "Self - go win the 10am tournament" and I did!! The hand that got me to the final table was a goody (dealt by Hector). I had AA. Blinds were 200-400 and I had 4500. I raised to 1500 fully determined to go all-in on the flop no matter what. I got called by 3 players. Yikes. Flop was K-8-J rainbow. Checked to me. I threw in my last 3,000 and got called by 2 players. Yikes again. One had KJ for 2 pair and the other had a king only which made me feel better but I was behind. Good old Hector put an ace on the turn and I won a good-sized pot and knocked out a player (KJ).

All in all I had AA FOUR times and won good-sized pots each time. Amazing. Hector told me later that after I won the above-referenced hand, he just KNEW I would be winning. He's so cool.

Glad to see you back at "work". Remember to get up and walk around now and then. I'm doing more of that too.