Thursday, December 3, 2015

How Not To Play a Big Stack

First of all let me state unequivocally, I seldom have a big stack.  That said, last night after the game, I had a discussion with the dealer who was bemoaning the early big stack that went slip sliding away to the point they did not make the final table.  I actually made the final table with fewer chips than the dealer had early on.  Oh yes, and I ended up chopping heads up despite never being in the top 3 stacks until the end.  Heads up I was a 4 or 5 to 1 dog.  So, how exactly do you not play a big stack?

1.  Do not treat it as a license to enter every pot.  The basic rules apply, have cards, have position, respect most raises.  You do not have to tighten up completely, just be wise and pick your spots.

2.  Avoid tangling with the big stacks.  This is sort of a spin off from rule 1.  You want to avoid a crippling pot on marginal hands.

3.  Avoid pushing around smallish stacks that will be forced to defend when you are holding marginal cards.  Much better to pick on middle stacks that will not play back hard without monsters.

4.  When near the money, that is when the big stack needs to be aggressive to those you sense are just trying to hang on to cash.  Last night I had a perfect position when everyone folded to my button and both the small and big blinds were very short.  I was 3rd in chips, we were down to 5 players with 4 being paid.  I raised enough to put either player all-in.  I happened to have an ace and probably the best hand, but should have done this with any two cards.

5.  Avoid doubling people up.  This really goes back to my earlier comments.  I have seen so many short stacks get healthy when they are forced to defend with any two cards.  I doubled both shorts up last night but it was highly situational.  Once I was in the big blind for 600 and the short guy went all-in for $700.  Duh, didn't even have to look at my cards to call.  The other time it was more, but not a whole lot and there was dead money in the pot from limps/small blind (I was big blind).

6.  Sometimes it is best to let the smaller stacks duke it out with each other.  You can put them in this position by folding real trash in late position or small blind.

7.  Don't over call shoves with a caller ahead of you without near nuts.  It is much better to either fold or re-raise to pressure the "monkey in the middle" with the squeeze play.

8.  I like to think of a big stack as the "black hole".  You know, like a collapsed star where anything that enters does not leave, even light.  You want those chips to stick to you.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

These are all super good points. I rarely have a big stack either, but I've seen stuff happen, both good and bad. Last Sunday, a guy tripled up on the FIRST hand of the tournament when he flopped Broadway. One of his opponents flopped a set of jacks. The other flopped a king high straight. It was ugly. This guy was a master of his big stack, however, and he ended up in 2nd place I believe. He may have chopped it. I was out and watching from the cash game by that time. I'm usually the sad sack that blows a big stack, but more often than not it's due to back luck and not bad play. Ah well.

Glad you got a good cash!