Saturday, December 12, 2015

Tight Play Required



At last night's Legion game I experienced extreme card death.  At the first break (1 hour), I had voluntarily entered exactly 3 pots and reached the river only once with a draw.  I did not take note of any pots that I would have won if I had played every hand to the river.  So, my goal at the first break is to try to double up.  I was at 1600 chips from the starting 2100, so it shows what extremely tight play can accomplish in terms of chip preservation.  With blinds at 100/200 after break, I had only 8 big blinds and was looking for a shove opportunity.  Other short stacks beat me to it, and had no calling hands so eventually I was eroded down to 1200.  The button, an aggressive good player shoved with 1000 and I was pleased in the big blind to find AQ.  Snap call!!!!  It was literally the first strong ace I had seen.  I was doubly happy when he turned over his A/7 unsuited.  This was my big opportunity to get back into the game!!!

So, my preflop odds are:  70%/24% to win

The flop is a monster.....for him  5/6/8

So now the odds are:  55%/40%  with 5% a tie.  Still in my favor, but instead of 3 outs, he now has 11 of them.

The turn is a nightmare for me:  7, so he now has me down to 3 outs to win, and 8 outs to tie.

The odds are:  7%/75% with 18% to tie.

I brick the river and am down to 200 in chips.  I got them in on my blind and miraculously won, but had to go all in again, winning and getting up to around 1800.  These were to be the only hands that I would win and put the remainder in from my big blind (400/800) with 5/8 due to multiple players and pot odds. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I just don't understand it. Why does going in with the best hand always seem to end in disaster? You are not alone. Blah.