Saturday, December 5, 2015

Back to Back Crack

Dealing table 3 last night in the absence of my friend, Mike, who usually deals there, I was eliminated in 16th position just after we combined to 2 tables....4 tables total....around 36 players or so.  I was looking forward to just playing but went out on the first hand dealt.  At the first break I was in excellent shape with 4600 chips, double the starting stack.  Of course there were many short stacks at that point with blinds now at 100/200 so you have to expect some shoves.  I essentially went card dead and did not win a hand for over an hour.  A new player was transferred to my table with a lot of chips and no clue.  I had never seen him before and he was drunk, loud, and to my immediate right.  He knocked out an excellent player who shoved 2000 with his A/9 suited to be called by this clown with A/3 suited.  He was lucky enough to hit his 3 (also a 3 outer I might add).  I was in the big blind (600) when this happened and that brought us to the table consolidation.

As bad luck would have it, I drew the big blind....just what a short stack does not want, and after posting had only 1200 behind.  Mr. lucky loud drew the seat to my left, and limped in with A/3 suited (again) and the player next to him called with Q/10 off.  Horrible plays on both their parts with the blinds so large.  Anyway, the flop comes down king high with 2 hearts.  I am holding K/9 off with no hearts.  I shove and am called by both players.  They check it down and Mr. Lucky hits an ace on the river.  So basically he eliminated 2 players in a row with a weak suited ace/3 by hitting one of his cards.  If the flops were reversed (hitting his ace the first time, the 3 the second), he would have lost both hands.  Go figure.

I thought that I played well but shows what happens when you go card dead and desperate stacks start shoving.  I have got to figure out a way to win some of those hands.  It also illustrates the power of the shove as folded several weak ace hands much better than Mr. Lucky's.

No comments: