Thursday, December 17, 2015

What Just Hit Me? The Deck You Say?

Our Wednesday night poker was cancelled last week due to flooding.  Not only was the highway flooded to the north, part of the road caved in to the south.
Heavy rains caused flooding in Nehalem in Tillamook County, Dec. 20, 2014 (Report It: Island Girl)
Image result for wheeler oregon road closure

We had a small (but loyal) turnout, enough for two almost full tables, around 16 I think.  I began the night with my pre-game ritual of an Old Chub beer:

Image result for old chub beer

This nearly always wrecks me for dealing and probably does not help my play either.  It is extremely strong.  Mike asked me to deal, but thought it better that I not.  Good choice, drunk man.

The game started off well for me, winning the first hand and just continuing as I hit flop after flop and was on the receiving end of some great starting hands.  By the time of the break, I was chip leader on our table.  Over the course of  the tournament was dealt the following pocket pairs:  AA (twice), KK (three times), JJ, 10/10 (flopping quads), other small pairs including memorably 3/3 which doubled me up on a 3/x/A flop vs. AJ.  I also double up through a big stack with AA vx. QQ.  Like I say, the deck was running over me.  Quite honestly, any player who was dealt my cards would have no problem winning any tournament....though I was able to escape a trap or two and maximized a couple of wins with my play. It really, really helps to get great starting cards, not get any bad beats, and have the flop actually help you.  I don't remember losing with any pair.

So, bottom line, ended up chopping with Scott who had me outchipped a couple of thousand (he got lucky a couple of times and played well and aggressively.  We earned $220 each for a net of $154 after buy-in, tips, and of course the cost of the Old Chub.


Old picture, from Scott's birthday/poker party last year

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Old Chubb looks like Guinness - yum! I remember going in to the Moose one Saturday morning to find 2 of the dealers who had been there all night having breakfast and drinking red beer. They invited me to join them. I had a couple beers before the tournament. This is VERY unusual for me as it wasn't even 8am. Anyway, I don't even remember how, but I won the darn thing and I believe I got 2nd or 3rd in the 10am. I guess I was just stupid enough from the beer that I didn't care and I was aggressive and lucky and it was a lot of fun.

Glad you won (with Scott who looks like a fun guy too). Stay safe over there. I've seen lots of photos of flooding and bad roads. My daughter and her family live in Waldport. Every time I see these things in the news I think of all of you and wish you well.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!