Sunday, December 20, 2015

Questionable Call

One of the key ingredients in winning poker is determining hand ranges and deciding whether your hand is better or at least as good as the bettor's range.  When a player goes all-in, you have to determine if your range is equal to or better than the shover's.  Other factors also come into play, like what are the chip counts?  Who is at risk here?  If I lose, will I either be out or now short-stacked?  Are there other players behind me who might be "priced in" if I just call, rather than shove to isolate?
The equation for an overcall, is to me, a much more complex issue.  You have to add all of the above, plus decide if your hand would play well against the others.  In general, an overcall is not a good idea most of the time barring a top hand or a monster stack.  So, given my thoughts about this, at Friday's final table I shoved with AJ suited (2500 with blinds at 500/1000) in middle position.  It was folded around to the small blind who had just won a huge pot and was in good shape.  He pondered a bit, then finally called.  The big blind, who had only about 3500 on top of his blind also called.  I was a little irritated with the small blind who I really wanted to re-raise to isolate and give me only one opponent to beat.  The flop was QQX and when the small checked and the big hesitated, I immediately put him on a queen.  When the ace hit on the turn, he went all-in and turned over the QJ offsuit after the SB folded.  Unbelievable.  His over-call was awful, and flopping 2 queens was his only way to win short of a straight or random flush.  I was out in 9th place.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Perhaps the big blind was in frustration mode? If so, it's great to see two face cards in that situation and hope for the best. It's pathetic but reasonable. If not, then it's just stupid. Sorry you didn't make the money!