Saturday, July 11, 2015

Luck Runs Out

Thinking about Friday's tournament today I have decided that I really got lucky multiple times.  The first piece of luck was calling 7/7's shove with my AK.  I was lucky to outdraw him and catch an ace. Had him covered so not at risk.  Later, I lost a big chunk of my chips with AQ vs. KK.  Thinking later about it, unfortunately I was motivated by the person I was calling as really felt he is not as good as his opinion of himself.  I should have paused a moment, checked his chip count and probably folded. He had way more chips than I thought.  He had been cocky earlier, hitting a full house against trips but had lost a lot of the chips.

I ended up extremely short stacked just prior to a break to consolidate tables, and folded my 4/7 of spades which would have won a volume pot.  My re-draw seat worked out o.k. and was able to accumulate enough chips to make the final table.  One player (Ray, our resident pro) was first out on a cooler, his KK vs. AA.  I had only one blind but tripled up with my 7/7 vs. 4/4 on a 7/4/x/8/8 board. My main pot was smaller than the side as someone else had trips, so the 4/4 did well.

One more triple up, again with only one blind, with K/10 on a great flop of J/Q/A.  So, lucky multiple times.  Our resident calling station in the meantime was crushing the table.  He absolutely could not miss, calling big raises and taking it down with weak hands.  He was my only caller with a 2.5 blind shove with my 4/4.  He had A/5 and flopped 2 pair.  The flop was this:  A/5/x, there were two hearts. He had no hearts, mine was the 4.  The turn brought the two of hearts to give me lots of outs, including a straight flush with the 3 hearts:

2-4's
4-3's
8-hearts  (the ace did not count since that would give him a full house)
Total:  14 outs

Naturally, the river card was the ace of hearts, giving me a flush and him the full house.  It pays to be lucky.  Down in 8th place, paying 5 places with 28 players.  At least I did not bubble.  Oh yes, the player I mentioned earlier with his KK did not make the final table.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Your luck ran out (bummer) and mine finally showed up. I played the 10am at the Moose yesterday and couldn't lose. I was playing well and getting luck to boot. I had AA and KK twice and they held up. I had a pretty good chip stack so I called an all-in holding A-7 on a board of Q-7-3. My opponent had a queen but I hit another 7 on the river. I got one guy to fold when I was bluffing simply because he thought I had gotten lucky again. I even hit quad 10's once. Love it. When I was head's up we played for over 20 minutes just trading chips with neither of us getting a big chip lead so we chopped for $500 each. Not bad.
I hope your luck returns soon and that mine stays.