Thursday, July 23, 2015

2 Outers & One Armed Bandits



Wednesday night at Wheeler did not go as planned.  I was playing tight and good, with over starting stack after the break.  A one armed player at my table (arm in sling), was catching lucky knocking a player out with 2/2 vs. J/10 who shoved all-in.  He hit is jack on the flop, but the turn brought the 2.  Nice.  I found K/K 3 UTG with two limpers.  With blinds at 50/100, now $350 in the pot, I raised to $400.  Everyone folded except the first limper, our one armed friend.

With a flop of 10/9/4 and a check to me, I shoved about $900 which was quickly called.  He had pocket 10's and had hit his 2 outer set.  I am very sure after playing with this guy for a while that he would have called any bet with his pair of 10's, so big missed opportunity.  My friend Mike reports that he also eliminated him in a blind vs. blind final table hand when the guy had aces.  Some days some people just run lucky.

My focus in this tournament was paying more attention to limping.  I recently watched some youtube videos on the subject.  Essentially, I am never "open limping", or overlimping except in late position with multiple limpers and then only with good quality hands, small pairs, suited big connectors, etc.  It worked well for me as I raised with some small pairs that I would have previously been tempted to limp with, but as open limper raised instead.  Worked every time as it isolated or took the pot uncontested.  The continuation bet took the pot if one caller. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I have a book (can't recall title) that has chapters by several pros on different subjects. Annie Duke's brother (Howard Lederer?) wrote a chapter on limit. His best advice when deciding to enter a pot was: raise, re-raise or fold. It's good advice for no limit too. He said limping should only be done very selectively such as on the button or in a blind. Sounds like you are playing good! Keep it up.