Friday, May 15, 2015

Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory



Wednesday night, usual spot, usual suspects.  I have been doing some reading about tight aggressive play and decided to try out some suggestions:

1.  If first to enter the pot, raise or fold
2.  No limps except in small blind with callers.
3.  If you can't re-raise, then fold to raise.

That's it.  Simple.  I started off with an amazing run.  Won several pots, culminating with the elimination of Joe, my worst nemesis (has knocked me out at least 3 times).  He always seems to "notch" me.  If I have 10's, he has jacks, if I have KQ, he has AK, etc.  It was no exception on this hand.  I raised in late position with QJ suited (usually not good for a raise from me, but trying to play more aggressively plus it had been winning a couple of previous hands).  He had limped UTG with KQ, true to form, he had me notched.  Flop was J/J/K and when he checked I c-bet, then he check raised all-in.  Call.  Untrue to his form he failed to find another king and hit the road (literally, I might add, later saw him walking home), and yes I offered him a ride.

Now the big stack at the table, I ran into some early trouble raising with AQ suited only to have an early caller limp with AA.  With a small flop my continuation bet was met with a re-raise all-in. Good fold, minimal damage to my big stack.

Finding QQ on the button with several limpers, I raised big, only to have the cutoff push all in.  He had won a few pots and could seriously damage my stack but I snap called.  He was not a regular and had no idea of his style of play, he had pushed me off an earlier hand (10/10) with no overcards with aggressive play and assured me that he had me beat after I showed and he didn't.  He sounded either sincere or full of s--t.  I was super happy when he tabled A/9 off!!!  Unfortunately for me, he hit an ace on the river.

Now short (750 with blinds @ 50/100), a solid player ("Juicy"), raises to $250 and the cutoff  who just got my chips, calls.  I find 5/5.  Now, if I had not just lost my stack I fold here (or re-raise big to isolate and/or push him off his hand), but with $650 in the pot, decide to push.  The original bettor calls and the cutoff folds as he has become the "monkey in the middle" from the squeeze.  I ask if he has a pair, he says no and tables AQ.  Unfortunately for me, my luck runs out on the turn with a queen and I too am hitting the road shaking my head at my bad luck.  I was playing so well and running so good there was no way I thought that final table and possible 1st would not happen.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I don't see that you did anything stupid so you can't be hard on yourself. I read basically the same advice in a book I have at home (can't remember title) with various chapters written by various pros. The Professor (Howard Lederer) was writing about limit poker and his advice was raise, re-raise or fold. That's it. Of course, limit is a different animal, but I still think it's good advice.