Monday, May 4, 2015

Random Thoughts

A comment was made to me after our Friday night game.  A player told me "your problem was that you let yourself get too short stacked on the final table".  I have been thinking about that for a while since I really respect the player, but came to the following conclusions:

1.  I entered the final table with a decent chip stack, maybe around average stack.
2.  I was extremely card dead.
3.  There were a couple of shove opportunities for me, but was pre-empted before I could do it.
4.  I raised a few times and did not get callers with my premium hands.
5.  My next to last hand was a good shove, 10/J in small blind vs. BB.  Just rotten luck to run into JJ.
6.  So, don't think I made any egregious mistakes on final table, just didn't pick up cards or opportunities.

Other random thoughts:

1.  The longer I play, the more I believe that you have to play the player.  I do much better when I semi-ignore my cards and pick places and people and stack sizes rather than waiting for the nuts.  I want to be less predictable so that when people target me as weak tight, or tight aggressive I can either bluff them or stack them with unpredicted holdings.

2.  Playing some pot limit omaha 8B lately with very mixed results.  It is a super scary game in that you never really know if the jammers...and there are usually at least one per table.... have high hands, low hands, draws or made hands.  It is a great game if you have really great board reading skills and are good at putting people on hands.  It really plays like a no limit game in that you can definitely get your whole stack in the pot given certain circumstances.  The game favors aggressive play, you will lose your ass if you just call most of the time.  It is unlike limit omaha in that the draws usually get poor odds, but often will come along anyway.

Omaha is essentially a drawing game as my poker expert (3 books written) pointed out.  If you flop the best hand, the draws that call actually have a great chance to beat you.  An example of this is, you hold A/3/8/10.  The flop is 8/9/10.  You have 2 pair plus the second nut low.  Looks good right? Except if your opponent holds something like J/K/A/2 you are really in horrible shape as any low card except a 2 loses the low for you, and you are drawing to 4 outs to fill up, while your opponent has 8 outs for the nut straight.  It can get even worse if the flop is suited and favors the flush draw for your opponent(s)!  If in the above instance he has the A2 of clubs and there are 2 clubs on the flop you can add another 7 outs to his draw.  Youch!

Anyway, my hope is to buy in light to the low limit omaha game at the Venetian and try my luck.  Goal is to play a ton of online omaha to get ready.

2 comments:

Phil said...

How is this for taking some beats? In my plo game had quad aces beaten by royal flush. Two hands later flopped kings full of tens vs. Quad 10's. Next lost with full house vs. Straight flush. Then finally flopped 7's full of aces vs. Aces full of 7's. Unbelievable streak of Bad luck.

7 Dewey said...

That's just crazy bad luck for sure. Hope you do a lot better in Vegas!