Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Little Tournament Little Win

Playing in a $1.00 buy-in $150 Guaranteed prize pool in America's Cardroom tournament, I did a late entry.  Starting chips were 5,000 and by the time I jumped in, the top stack was around 28K, with average stack over 10K. Ultimately there were 167 players including re-entries.  I played very conservatively and just hung out for a long time with close to starting chips.  Finally, I doubled up through the maniac at our table.  He was seated to my immediate right, was 1st or 2nd in chips, and his strategy was basically to shove every hand.  Usually he would just pick up blinds, but every once in a while someone would call with a good to great hand.  He was incredibly lucky, snapping aces once and kings once with absolute crap hands, Q/3 off making a straight using the 3, runner runner flush using one card, odd two pairs, etc.  It was a freaking nightmare.  Finally I said what the heck called with AJ and doubled up.  Several players doubled through him, but he would come roaring back with the same strategy.

I had some great hands and managed to rise to 2nd place with everyone in the money (they paid 27 spots).  I took a horrible beat when raising with J/J and re-raised by A/Q.  We got it all in pre-flop and he hit a queen to drop me way back (think I had about 125K to his 90K).  I managed to get it all-in with AK vs. his 10/10 and the maniac's K/8.  The big stack hit a 10 on the flop and knocked both of us out.  The maniac had a few more chips so he got 12th place, while I got 13th and .50 less payout.  My big win?  $2.77.  First prize was around $47., the money rose a lot on final table.

Cards have been getting better for me lately.  Today playing Omaha hit a royal flush and quads during a short session.  Getting ramped up for Vegas next month.  Can hardly wait.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Hey a $2.77 win is still a win - yippee!! Are you playing any specific World Series tournaments in Vegas or non-World Series stuff? Hope you do well and have a great time!!

Phil said...

Hi,
Playing deepstacks at Rio. They run 3 per day with about 1200 players in each. Cost is $285/235/or 185 depending on starting time. Planning on playing 2 of those and whatever else I can work into my busy schedule. Have to play at least 20-30 hours of live cash games at Venetian to get our special room rate.