Saturday, May 23, 2015

Dealing Tired but not Tired of Dealing

So, lately I have been dealing in both games, Wheeler and Legion.  I have even dealt a couple of final tables, including last Wednesday.  Man, I was really tired after 4 hours straight.  My total "take" was only $44, or $11/hr.  Sounds like minimum wage, but when you deduct my $40 buy-in, only $1 an hour net.  Much better however than most of the players got.

So, super tired after that marathon of dealing, we drove to Portland to attend granddaughter Clio's end of school program.  I slept bad and was very tired after the drive back to the beach on Friday.  Even a 2 hour nap did not help that much and foolishly agreed to deal table 2 at the Legion game.  I was out of the game before we consolidated to 2 tables from the 4 starting, but fortunately a lot of players were eliminated early and got to quit by 9:15.  I left immediately and have no idea of my tips, but should come close to covering the entry fee.

Did I play as well while dealing as simply playing?  Would have to answer, no.  It is very distracting and takes way more energy.  When you are tired that comes into play on your decision making process.  I made a couple of huge errors in play that really cost me.  The first was raising an early position player when I flopped trip kings.  Should have just called his out of position bet and let him donk off some more chips to me.  Next big error was raising too small on the button.  A min-raise never accomplishes much and my failure to follow up with the c-bet begs the question, why raise if you are going to give up the lead?  Two checks led to trip 6's from the small blind who bet the river and like a donk I called with my pocket 5's.  My last error was calling a big bet (half my chips) after limping with QJ.  A 10 high flop led to his putting me all in and I called with the backdoor straight and 2 overcards draw.  He had JJ and I was done.

All of my mistakes were the result of 2 things.  Playing while tired and dealing.  I would never take those lines of play if I was rested, alert and focused only on playing.  I am not sure that dealing is helping my bankroll.  It is not hurting it as my poker is mostly paid for, but think I can do much better by only playing.  It is oh so sweet to deal and cash as I have done a few times lately, but must rethink the whole game plan.    

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I must agree with you. It's hard enough just to play poker when you are tired, but dealing and playing when tired? Forget about it. Maybe you could try dealing one tournament, but not both or every other time or something like that. Poker is stressful without the added pressure. Why do we put ourselves through it LOL?