Tuesday, November 18, 2014

WTF Online




I must admit that I would much prefer to be playing "real" poker, but despite the lack of skin in the game, many online events play much as live poker.  Guess that is why I stick with it.  The key, I have found is to play very tight at first due to the high percentage of donks who like to attempt quick double ups with garbage.  They can destroy you, or propel you into the early lead if you have a big hand.  I prefer to sit back and wait for good opportunities.  My favorite game is the $1000 buy-in 45 person SNG on Pokerstars.  The prize pool is good and it plays similarly to the morning moose tournament.  They pay 7 places, so if you can make the final table with decent chips you stand to make a few bucks.

This morning I played 2 tournaments due to waking up at 4:30 a.m. and being unable to go back to sleep.  That time of day you mostly get European and Russian players because of the time zone difference.  The Russian players I like to call "Comrade Bluffski" due to their giant bluffs.  They can be tough because, let's face it, anyone can wake up with a real hand.  You get lulled into complacency watching them bet with bottom pair and winning big pots, then they get aces and you give all your chips to them calling light.  I have found the Spanish players a wild bunch.  I like to think that they think that they are "muy macho" when they bet.

So, anyway, this morning I was cruising to a cash with average chip stack and 10 players remaining.  I am playing A/J with the ace of clubs.  The flop is 8/9/10, all clubs.  I love the flop with my open ender and draw to the "nut" flush.  I bet, and am called by a larger stack. The turn changes nothing, I bet 1/2 pot, and am called again.  The turn is the queen of clubs.  I bet pot and am raised for nearly all my chips.  I re-raise all-in.  He turns over 10/J with the jack of clubs for the straight flush!!!!! WTF!!!!!  Bubble the final table.

Next up, new 45 person SNG, long story short, I play very few hands, getting one double up and am short stacked with 12 players remaining.  It is folded to me on the button with blinds @ 75/150, the small blind is sitting out.  I have J/8 with about 1000 in chips.  The big blind is sitting on one of the largest stacks (around 10K).  I elect to shove, and he calls with.....2/4!!!!!  WTF!!!!!  Flop brings a 2 and a 4, the turn does not hit me, leaving me drawing dead.  Unbelievable. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Bad Phil. Why didn't you wait for a better hand than J8? You were on the button and would have had several opportunities.
As for the guy with the straight flush - ouch. Neither one of you could get away from it. That's just a cooler.
I'm off to Spokane this weekend for Motley Crue. Rumor has it that his guest will be Alice Cooper. Should be a rockin' time.