Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Comments

Someone quoted John Harrington during the tournament last Friday.  "Poker is a betting game played with cards".  I have been pondering that this week, and after playing a ton of freeroll tournaments would have to agree.  We have all been the "victim" of the aggressive big stack who raises with squadoush and nails the flop or bets better hands off.

I have also been pondering how it seems that "the worst hand always seems to win".  I keep seeing this, and have been the victim much more than the beneficiary. This is because as a relatively tight player I normally play better cards than my opponents start with (cooler shown below as an arguement against this statement).   A great example was a freeroll I played a few minutes ago.  I raised 3x big blind with A/J.  A player shoved (had me covered as I had just done late registration) with A/10 off and naturally hit a 10 to eliminate me.  Wow.  But I saw 3/3 beat 8/8 two hands earlier when he flopped the 3.  Just sayin' that if my AK is against AQ there is a high likelihood that he will flop trip queens.

Here is the real life example of the cooler I experienced today.  How sick is KK vs. AA?  On a positive note, did cash in this small buy-in tournament (12th place out of 80 or so).  It was a $.50 + .05 buy-in and I won $1.10.  This is an on-demand tournament that runs pretty continuously as soon as 18 players sign up.  There is a $25 guaranteed payout, with 18 players getting at least their money back as normally 80-90 sign up.  I plan to build my online bankroll with this tournament as you can coast near the end with not many chips, or if lucky win 1st for $12.00 or so.  My goal is like the Ferguson challenge to build up to $10,000 from nothing.


No comments: