Sunday, November 23, 2014

Patience, Aggression and Judgement

I have been thinking about the qualities that make for a great poker player.  These three came to mind first.  I have been playing in a bunch of freerolls lately (trying to duplicate my "big" win) with little success.  I am getting my money in good but the loose luckboxes have been doing what they do best...getting lucky.  So, thinking about the super loose players I see online, what usually propels me to final tables is patience.  Often the hyper-loose player is also the hyper-aggressive player too.  I like to sit back and wait for a great opportunity to double up by trapping them by limping in with monsters, or calling with good hands like pairs or big aces.  It works nearly every time.

Lately in the $10 freeroll I have been just getting my ass kicked.  Some first hand all-ins with pairs facing bigger pairs, massive draws not arriving (good example this morning, pre-flop raise by another player (A/A), I call the smallish raise in position with 10/J of clubs.  The flop is K/Q clubs/ 8.  So I have open ended straight flush draw.  The turn is another 8, and we get all our chips in.  Whiff!

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I must agree with you about patience. I find myself at a lot more final tables if I don't get all crazy or bored. It's the hardest thing for me to do, but I'm really trying to work at it.

As for the open-ended straight flush draw - I could never lay that down either, but with one card to come and a paired board, you probably should have folded. Of course, I don't know the chip counts, blinds, etc. I probably wouldn't have folded it either.

Happy Thanksgiving!!