Saturday, November 15, 2014

Woulda Coulda Shoulda

Returning from Maui, I was asked to deal the final table at the Legion tournament.  Not a problem being fully rested and ready for some poker.  My table was somewhat unusual in that I had a father/son combination seated, one of whom was the "wild child" I have previously written about.  I was in for an evening of practically nonstop talking and bluffing and huge overbets.  Great.  The son I learned did not fall far from the tree.  They got involved in at least 3 pots together and the son generally folded to the raises from pop, showing huge respect in that he had raised first and folded to the 3-bet, showing a pair of 8's each time.  I later had the huge luck to knock pop out with my least favorite hand, 5/10 off. It was a situational thing in my big blind vs. his small stack with limpers.

The evening started out well for me, winning 3 small pots on the first 5 hands dealt.  But, alas, they were very small pots.  I missed a huge opportunity to knock out the wild child with a 5/8 early on when he almost doubled up with 2 pair, then definitely would have gotten him with a 6/7, both making straights.  I would regret this later on.  I had the good fortune to knock several players out, including a short stack with my 9/2, flopping a full house, and pocket kings of wild child's pop and another shorty with my 10/5 making 2 pair.

So, my downfall came on the button with A/Q.  I had a nice stack, with only 12 players remaining, and I slightly overbet wild child's big blind.  He had stacked up big, getting double dog lucky several times with the worst hand, and stared at me then said something like "you must want me to fold", then re-raised me all-in.  I snap called and he turned over A/9 soooooted, which he had earlier maybe 2-3 times and declared his "favorite hand".  Great, I love to play against dominated hands....that is until they spike a 9 on the river and knock me out of the tournament.  Now, here comes the ironic part.  He knocked at least 2 more players out with.....A/Q.  Snap calling both times, and behind on at least one.  What a donkey.

So, he ends up heads-up against the tournament director, who had chipped him up earlier (the director was leader on the final table), the director getting most of them back, then  QQ (wild child) vs. weak ace on the last hand.  He wins the tournament.  Lucky door to door.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

While the tournament outcome was not optimal for you, I could tell just by reading your entry that you were very happy to be playing again.
I played the 10am at the Moose yesterday and went out 4th. Yes they only paid 3 and Jimmer was one of the final 4 so I knew he wouldn't agree to money back for 4th. Oh well. I feel like I played very well and I didn't second guess myself once. So it goes.