Friday, November 14, 2014

Back in CONUS (Continental United States)

Well, back from my Hawaii adventure intact.  I had a great time (pictures attached) but I have some things that I really don't like about it.

1.  Cost.  Everything there is darned expensive.  The first morning there we went out for breakfast (3 adults and one small child) and the bill was $58 plus tip.  Excuse me!  Because we were a captive audience there were few inexpensive options.  We bought groceries at the Safeway but hard to cook/plan so not many meals were prepared at the condo.

2.  How much time can you spend at a swimming pool?  The kids thought it was great, but other than the hot tub, really don't enjoy sitting poolside (fair skin easily burnt) and how much do you really want to splash around in a 3' deep pool?

3.  No poker options (except free site online)

4.  I don't think the natives really like us much.  Sometimes I feel the same way here in my resort community.  Lots of traffic, feeling overrun with tourists.  Restaurants full, long lines.

Now for the positives.

1.  Unbelievably nice weather, 85 every day.  Harsh to come back here where it looks like winter has begun.

2.  Snorkeling.  One of my favorite ocean activities.  Beautiful fish, coral, warm water.  Only drawback was wearing mask for extended time.  Kinda pinched around ears.  Also, had to cut my moustache to get a seal.

3.  Time with family.  Nice to hang with the kiddos.

4.  Did I mention the unbelievably nice weather?










1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Glad to see you all survived. I can imagine tourists get all the high prices over there. I haven't been in 100 years, so I'm sure I would be shocked.
As for me, I'd rather hang on the beach/in the ocean than in the pool, but I do love the water so either one would probably work. I've never tried snorkeling, but sounds like fun. (By the way, guys look younger without facial hair - LOL).
Our poker buddy Gary Eller took 3rd in the Pendleton seniors event on Wednesday - good for him!
You didn't mention the weather - was it nice - ha! Ha!