Monday, August 4, 2014

Peace Shattered in Cannon Beach



The past week has been disturbing here.  Friday a toddler was discovered dead in a hotel room very near our house (about 5 blocks) and her sister was severely injured with life-threatening cuts.  The mother was missing, and as the story unfolded, it was found that she was in a custody fight with her husband.  Eventually an arrest warrant was issued for her, and she was captured yesterday and charged with murder and attempted murder.  There has not been a murder in our town for over 50 years, and almost any crime is rare (though 2 banks have been robbed within recent years).

I was sitting in my favorite coffee shop Sunday when newsmen came in from one of the Portland TV stations (Katu 2 ) and asked if there were any local residents they could interview.  Since I was the only one there they had to settle for me.  I caught the brief segment last night, but unfortunately no DVR so could not record it.  I was interviewed a short time later by another station but could not find it (FOX12) on my channels.  I thought that it was a better interview having had the earlier experience.  They basically asked me how this affected the locals.  "Not much", I replied.  Crime is everywhere and it touches us every once in a while.  It affected me mostly because of the age of the youngest victim (2)....same age as my youngest granddaughter.  The older girl is 13, just a little older than my oldest granddaughter.  It is a horrible thing to contemplate hurting children, and this connection was too close to home.

Hug your kids and your grandkids.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Jessica-Smith-Cannon-beach-children-found-dead-269747141.html

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I just finished looking at some of the articles. It's simply awful. I actually stayed at the Surfsand Resort last time I was in Cannon Beach 100 years ago. It's so sad when tragedy strikes anywhere but I think it's worse somehow in such an idyllic location with basically no major crime. So sad. There's a reason I mostly ignore the news.