Saturday, August 30, 2014

Bad Decision?

Playing fairly well last night, I was dealing table 4 and really lighting up one kid who is abnormally aggressive anyway.  In short order I dealt him pocket aces, pocket kings twice, a flopped set of 2's, and pocket queens as well as some other AK various big hands.  He was on a roller coaster ride, his aggression chipping up and then giving back.  The player next to me doubled up by getting lucky against his kings when he flopped top pair of jacks, then hit another on the river with his AJ.  Before our table broke down he had been eliminated.  Just too aggressive.  And unlucky.

I got lucky once myself playing against the dealer on table 1, who is an excellent WSOP player.  I raised from the button with QJ, he defended his big blind with A/5.  The flop was A/Q/x, and he check called my all-in bet.  The river brought another queen and I was in great shape.  As blinds went up, I noticed that the big blind was going up next hand from 1000 to 2000.  Being under the gun, I currently had 7 big blinds which would be down to 3 1/2 next hand, so when I saw A/J I shoved my stack all-in.  It was folded to the small blind who is aggressive and had a bigger stack.  He shoved.  The big blind was short and he called as well.  We turned over my A/J, small blind's A/Q, and big blind's A/7.  The flop turn and river missed everyone (the case ace was on the flop!!!!), and the AQ knocked two of us out.  Unbelievable that everyone had an ace and only two over cards that could beat me.  I finished in 12th place.

Analyzing my play, I think that it was the right decision based on the blind progression.  If it was not going up I would have folded with too much action behind me.  Basically, I am not in love with AJ, but it is worth playing given the right circumstances.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I think you did the right thing. You may have even had the best hand although it didn't turn out that way. With the blinds going up, I would have definitely done the same!