Monday, July 21, 2014

Things That Drive Me Crazy






I am referring almost exclusively of course to online poker, but some similarities exist in "real" poker.

1.  People shoving preflop with any two cards the first hand dealt.  This happens a lot in "Zynga" poker.

2.  Players calling preflop shoves the first hand with any two cards.

3.  Players overcalling preflop shoves the first hand with any two cards.

Note:  I will sometimes join this donkfest, but typically I will have only one of three hands, AK suited, AA or KK.....sometimes QQ.  All other hands I fold.  That said, I prefer to preflop fold nearly all hands in any position due to the excessive number of players limping.  I prefer to save my chips, let the donks knock each other out and end up "in the money" even if short stacked and outplay 1 or 2 opponents.  I do this a lot.

4.  Players making a min-raise from the small or big blind after nearly the whole table limps.  What is going through their little mini-pea-brain minds?  The pot gets swollen if all call (and they all will) and becomes a drawing nightmare with the initial raiser woefully out of position.  Usually when cards are finally exposed they have raised with garbage hands like weak aces, K10, etc.

This brings me to a play I actually like, which is a big stack who min-raises after lots of limpers from the button.  This accomplishes so much!!!  First, they take command of the hand if no one re-raises.  Second, they put pressure on short stacks, taking some more of their chips.  And, they get reaction from the "real hand" who then raises big, again pressuring short stacks and enabling the big stack to fold.

5.  Out of proportion raises at any time.  O.K., you raised to $500 when the blinds are 30/60, everyone folds, you pick up blinds.  Nice move assmunch, way to waste your big hand.  I see this move way too much even in live games.  I really understand big raises with scary boards, but it is so much better to just give them poor odds for their draws, not crazy raises that if called put your tournament in jeopardy due to the inflated pot size when the draw hits or making them "pot committed" to the river.

6.  The trappers in the world who whine after they sneakily limp with their giant hand and are snapped by 2/6 in the big blind who would have mucked to a min raise.

7.  Trash talk online.  Had two this morning that would not stop.  I personally knocked both of them out.

There will be more as I think about it.  Will add to comments. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

All of these things drive me nuts too, especially 4, 5 and 6. I guess I can't agree or disagree with online stuff, but most of these occur in our regular little tournaments and limit games. I think raising out of the small or big blind is insane in a limit game unless you have AA or KK and then you can do the massive raise.

I won't be playing more than once or twice in August due to another trip to Seattle (middle of the month) and lack of poker bank. Hope I get to see you sometime!