Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Seaside American Legion

I had heard about their Monday night tournament for a long time, but never really thought about driving over to try it until yesterday.  A couple of the guys from here talked about it, said it had a little better structure plus more starting chips, so thought I would give it a try since I am going to miss next Friday's tournament in town.

The Seaside Legion is really a bigger and nicer version of ours.  Big open area for bingo, dances, etc., interesting displays (MIA/POW) featuring some M-16's and other cool stuff.  The tournament itself seemed a lot more.....unstructured.  The guy taking money did not take your name, hit me up for an extra $5 because I was a first time player (said it went to replacement equipment, cards, etc.).  There were tons of guys from Cannon Beach there, so I felt pretty much at home.  My table draw was table 2...there were three tables.....and many familiar faces plus some new ones.  The dealer was a young hotshot player who absolutely was the sloppiest dealer I have ever seen.  Once he even mucked his own cards.  It was fairly chaotic.  I survived, chipping up a little before the tables broke.  My best hand was flopping two pair, betting, getting called, betting the turn when a third heart hit, getting flat called, then filling up on the river where I check raised the flush.  Other than that no other outstanding pots.  Which brings me to a subject that really should be reserved for a separate blog post, but here it is:  Donk calls.

I watched a couple of players bust out with really big stacks when they didn't properly appreciate the texture of the board.  Example:  Obvious broadway straight with a 10/K/A showing and all-in over his bet and re-raise....he had AK.  Just really a case of not being able to fold a hand or recognize strength.
Aces lost big to possible straight (he had 2 pair) on a baby flop.  Again, pot control with single pair hand would be called for.  Another big stack fell with JJ vs QQ.  She let herself get drawn into an all-in situation pre-flop.  Just bad judgement in my opinion.

Anyway, I unfortunately was not the beneficiary of any of these donk plays, but the sloppy dealer was.  He donked off a ton of chips with AJ vs. QQ....again, why risk big stacks with a marginal hand?  Saw another player fall with AJ.....when will they learn?

We got down to 5 players with 4 places paid.  Two of us were on life support (2-3 big blinds).  The suggestion was made to pay the bubble boy.  All of us agreed except the big stack.  The other tiny stack reminded him that he had given him a ride there (about 30 miles)...so he changed his mind.  Good for me as the other shorty got them all in bad with A8 vs A9 but spiked an 8.  I was blinded out shortly afterward having won exactly one hand on the final table and put my last chip in with K3 suited vs. 9/9 and managed to hit only my 3.

No comments: