Thursday, July 10, 2014

2 & 3 Outers




There is probably no more frustrating situation in poker than to have your opponent(s) totally dominated, yet lose to them when they hit a 2 or 3 outer.  I absolutely love it when my shove with AK is called by A/7 off.  What? A seven on the river?  Nice catch sir.  KQ vs. QJ, no problem for the villain to catch a jack to finish you off. But I digress.  Yet again. To illustrate that it is possible however for even me to get lucky in these situations, I will tell you about a couple of hands yesterday online.

First hand of tournament (CardPlayer.com) for a seat in a $1000 cash tournament final.  There are 88 players.  I am on the button with....8/8.  Some kind of omen, huh?  Sure enough, some donk shoves, followed by another.  Hmmm.  8's probably no good here, but signs are signs.  I call for all my chips.  Whoa, yet another player shoves.  Hey, this hand is no good.  Cards revealed, A/10, K/J, Q/3.  O.K., only every overcard in the deck except for the 9.  Flop comes with 2 spades, jack high.  Not good.  Turn an ace...of spades.  Really bad, except for one thing....I have the only spade.  Gin/Yahtzee/...etc., spade on the river.  I become the early tournament chip leader with over 4,000.  Would like to say it had a happy ending, but despite cracking kings with my J/9 (flop J/2/3), turn 3, river J., I ended up 8th in tournament with only 4 moving on.  It hurt that I sat out for nearly an hour while taking the dog to the beach. But, hey, at least I hit my 3 outer!!!! Congratulations luckbox boy. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

There's a reason I prefer cats - LOL. Shouldn't you finish the tournament BEFORE you take Milo to the beach? Silly.

2 and 3 outers are the bane of my existence. However, all of us are certainly glad when we are on the winning end. Nice job with 88. Definitely a good omen to play it with 88 players left. Wish you could have made it to the final.