Saturday, May 25, 2013

This Can't Be Good


You know how some poker tables are just......toxic?  Sometimes when you sit down and look around you think, "Shit, not these guys".  Last night at the Legion I drew table 1 which I really like, and as a bonus, Jeff is dealing.  He is methodical and very competent.  He is also a very good player as are most of the others seated.  I like this.  There are two newbies, one which is clueless, the other knowledgeable (he is buddies with Billy, who I will get to later), but new to poker.  He works in finance so is a numbers guy and has a good grasp of odds.  Anyhow, I play well, chip up a little but unfortunately get moved to a table that is toxic.  There are two calling stations and a totally incompetent guy that I have never seen before who keeps loading up on the free popcorn.  Seriously, 3 trays that I saw.  Also, Billy, who has had a lot to drink and has tripled up, busting the dealer's aces with his flopped set of kings.  He is the chip leader at the table.

Billy and I have a great conversation between hands (we are sitting next to each other) about the WSOP.  Turns out he is playing the same event as me, staying nearby at the Flamingo.  We make plans to huddle up before the tournament.  Anyway, I go on a heater, first busting my friend Matt out who had pocket aces with my 7/8.  Small raise, other callers, in big blind, flopped 6/9/Q.  I had him well covered so called his all in on the draw and hit my 10 on the river.  Sorry Matt!!!!

Next, I flopped a straight with my QJ vs A10 on a 10/K/A flop.  Now in very good chip position as table leader I raised pre-flop under the gun with A/7 suited.  Hmmm, might be getting cocky now.  I am called by the only one at the table who has skills, position and chips, Mr. Billy.  Flop is K/K/X, with one of my suite.  I check and Billy, who is capable of a steal, bets 1200 into the 3,000 pot.  Suspecting a steal, I attempt a re-steal (remember, we are the two chip leaders, and both have MAD skills!!!!) by check raising 2500.  Billy tanks, then begins talking about just calling in order to put me all-in on the turn.  I honestly thought he might fold at this point.  Instead, he shoves.  Oops.  My bad.  I fold, showing my ace.  Billy later says, "did you actually fold aces?"  I was semi-honest and said, "No, big suited ace".  He told me at the break that he had K/Q.

Now brought down to earth, but still with about twice starting chips, I run into two of my nemesis, who shall remain unnamed, like Voldemort.  They have both knocked me out before due to their stubbornness and luck.  Player "A", raises her short stack (but not all-in, which is a mistake) with KK.  My other nemesis calls from the small blind.   Now officially priced in from the big blind with 3/4, I decide to call.  The flop is a dream for me, A/3/4.  Small blind goes all-in.  I immediately put him on an ace, probably with an average kicker and decide to go for both players.  I re-raise all-in with 1500 more than the biggest stack.  Now, faced with an all-in and an overcall, player "A", both clueless, and lucky as she is, makes the genius call for her last 1,000 in chips.  Billy went into the tank by the way and reluctantly folded.  I proudly turned over my two pair only to see player "B" with aces up, A/3.  Now "A" turns over KK.  Wow!  Told you she was clueless.  The river of course following the theme of "luck" brings a king.  She wins the main pot, the other player takes the side pot.  Unbelievable.

Our table breaks down, and I move to table 2, along with player "A".  With 3 1/2 big blinds I am looking to get my chips in soon before blinds increase.  I get my chance under the gun with QJ.  I shove and am called by....are you ready?......player "A", who has no business still being in the game.  Everyone else folds and she turns over KK!!!  The flop brings me a gutshot straight draw, the deck fails to help me and she eliminates me.  Another player, a total jerk, helpfully points out that she made runners for a king high flush.  Thanks.  The pair of kings was good enough.

   

No comments: