Saturday, May 4, 2013

Changing it Up (Maybe not a good idea...especially after pressure washing all day)



Decided to change things up at the Legion last night.  First of all, no dealing.  No big thing, wasn't asked, but planned to pass anyway.  Oh yes, the controversy I mentioned was o.k.  I was not part of the problem as it turned out.  She was super nice to me.

Second change.  I have a rule, well, make that a guideline, that I don't drink while playing poker.  Something about impaired judgement.  Yesterday I spent all afternoon pressure washing my decks.  Hard work, not used to that!!!  Anyway, I was very tired and ordered a beer before the tournament.  Went down easily and quickly, so, ordered another one.

Third change.  Decided to play more aggressively, bluff more.  That had mixed results.  The first hand of the tournament limped in with J7 suited.  Flopped a gutshot draw and decided to bet it.  Kept firing and top pair kept calling.  Also played A/9 aggressively, raising pre-flop and raising an early position bettor who folded two pair face up with my big turn bet.  Flop was A/Q/7....he had A/7.  I give him props (and he sometimes reads my  blog) for being a smart player....which he is....and not wanting to commit a lot of chips early, which I was doing.

Finding myself about 500 below starting chip stack just before the first break, I found AK suited on the button with about 5 limpers.  I raised big (to 400 with about 540 in the pot) and got folds until an early limper decides to shove with 3/3.  I had him covered...barely by only $60, and I insta-called.  Generally I like to be on the other side of races, and frankly I would have folded 3's in his situation (or shoved pre-flop before me), but hey, you pays your money and get to play em as you like.  Anyhow, he hits a freaking 3 on the flop and I am drawing dead on the turn.  Just a side comment on this:  I have lost every freaking race lately.  Doesn't seem to matter which side I am on!!!

Returning from break with one chip (we chipped up) and blinds at 100/200, I put it in with 9/9, tripled up, but still had only 1 1/2 blinds.  In my BB, the UTG player to my left raised big (with K/K, and got like 3 callers).  I found A/6 and threw in my last chip into the volume pot.  The flop was small, he bet big and everyone folded.  I was unable to find running 6's or an ace and went out.  Will have to change up my change up next week I guess. 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Well, you definitely made some questionable plays, but on the other hand - if you play the same "freaking" way all the time you will get bored out of your gourd. You also have to change it up sometimes or everyone will read you like a book. Better luck with the next change up!