Sunday, May 5, 2013

Overcalls & Out of Position Preflop Raises

Help me out of this one commenters.  I cannot understand the players who choose to raise from the blinds, particularly with lots of limpers, with really average hands (think A/10, K/J, etc.)  I see this quite often, and granted, it sometimes works since no one has shown any strength evidently, but jeesh.  The disadvantage of acting first against a crowd (since the earliest limper is most likely to call, thus creating a "limpede"), is that you will have to act first for the rest of the hand.  This is a huge disadvantage and leaves you guessing which is not a good way to play poker.  The only way it is good is if your raise is large enough to thin the crowd to heads up, and then only if you have a super premium hand, not AK or even queens!

The next questionable practice that I see is the overcall and over-over call.  Example:  The previously mentioned out of position raiser sees the flop, raises big or goes all in and a player calls, then another, then another.  Not only does the third and fourth player have to beat the original, but the others too.  Even a single overcall, without flopping the nuts is just crazy.  Yet, I often see it with weak draws, bottom or middle pairs, etc.

As Ricky used to say to Lucy, "You got some splainin' to do!"

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Honestly, I'm trying very had to avoid both of these situations like the plague. Unless you have KK or AA in the blinds, you have no business raising anybody at any time. Overcalls are harder, especially in limit poker because as we all know the bigger the pot the better the odds. Even so, it is not goood play. I have recently folded 10-10, AK and JJ in the big blind with only one raise before me simply because I am learning to hate that position with a vengeance.

By the way, it's nice to be able to discuss poker intelligently with someone. I've been paying quite a bit more attention to players lately and I find that some of them haven't "changed it up" in years. I think it's much better to think about the game & get better at it. Having said that, why is it that these people always beat me? Sheesh.