Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hands I Luv

O.K., I have discussed hands that I hate, now it is time to talk about the ones I love.  This shouldn't take long.

Illustration of a Pinup Couple Dressed as a King and Queen Holding Hands Stock Photo - 8704931

Surprisingly, I think my current favorite is KQ suited.  The "royal couple" as it is called seems to win an inordinately large percentage of the time.  Even though it is a sometimes dominated hand, with AQ and AK coming to mind, it will make two straights, not one, and the flush you make with it is usually good.  Two pair is great with this hand, and usually spells doom for AK or AQ when you nail the flop.

Eighty Nine : Number 89 embossed or carved from marble placed on a matching marble base Stock Photo

For reasons known only to my analyst, another prohibitive favorite is 8/9 suited.  For some reason this hand does well for me, and I sometimes play it out of position, or with a raise.  Goodness knows it can be dominated easily, so one pair hands are not usually good.  However, many people will put a lot of chips in with their 6/7 suited (which I also like), or 10/J.  If they "nail" the flop i.e. two pair, I like my chances. 





Favorite pair, the snowmen (in Omaha mostly).  Strangely, it is not aces, kings, queens, etc.  For some unknown cosmic reason I seem to hit my pocket 8's for a set more often than not.  Weird, huh?  This is weird too, just as I am typing this involved in tournament and guess what I have?  Yes!!  Just won, board double paired with 551010 and ace on river.  Bet it the whole way.  Way to go little buddies.



Now, you may find this a bit weird, but a few years ago this was my favorite preflop raising hand.  Had a couple of hard and fast rules.  #1 rule, had to be first action after blinds.  #2 rule, had to be offsuit so no one could accuse me of playing it because it was suited.  Won some monster pots in the old 4/8 game either from bluffs when the flop had an ace, or when I nailed the flop.  No one ever sees it coming.

That's it for now.  Comment about your favorites.  As you can see, logic has little to do with it.



1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

My favorite pair is 7-7. As with you and your 8-8 it just seems to like me a lot. 2-2 is also fun. No one ever sees that coming when you flop a set. 7s and 2s. Go figure.

I am very fond of suited connectors. I would probably only play 8-9, 9-10 etc. if they were suited unless pot odds dictated otherwise. Being suited gives you more outs. If you are beaten by a bigger flush - oh well.

I also find that AQ likes me a lot more than AK and I will try very hard to get rid of AK if I am raised a significant amount by a person I believe, i.e. I don't think they are bluffing. I truly hate AK. My favorite "junk" ace is A8 suited or not. I probably win 80-85% of the time with that hand. :)