Saturday, November 3, 2012

Domination



O.K., I am not talking about this kind of domination, but could if you prefer.  What I am referring to is a hand which has a shared rank, but one hand has a bigger kicker.  Thus, hitting your top card is a loser for you, giving you only 3 outs and poor prospects.  Tonight playing in a $25 tournament online I kept getting snapped by hands that I dominated.  I lost a big chunk of chips to KJ with my AJ.  Then, lost again to a QJ vs my AQ for all of my chips when we were down to 15 players (started with 476).  This particular player that knocked me out had lost a large pot to a hand that he had dominated (AK vs. KJ), then got those chips back plus mine when the KJ guy went all-in with 10/10 and I re-raised with my AQ.  How you get that many chips in the pot late in the tournament with QJ puzzles me, but I am the guy sitting out.  He was the original raiser too, so I called because of the size of the pot with the other player's push.  Suspected he was weak and just tried to isolate the other player.  He had raised to 6,000 in a 4000 pot (1,000/2,000 blinds plus $100 antes.  The reraiser had 33,000, and I had over 40,000.  I think he started with about 60K.  I would have lost anyway, but still would have had some chips had that guy folded.

Again, my point is:  stay out of big pots with easily dominated hands.  I probably should have folded my AQ as that is one of the highest dominated possibility hands, but just felt that I had a good read on the situation.  Had I suspected the original raiser would call, would probably fold AQ.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Youch, need to listen to my own advice. Knocked out of tournament when I raised to 2500 (500/1000 blinds) with A/J on final table. Had 3500 behind. It was re-raised all-in for 2500 more. I tanked a little, then called, figuring he was a short stack who who shove with any pair or perhaps a worse ace. Wrong. He had pocket aces. Now down to one blind, and in the big blind out on the next hand with J/7 vs. A/5 shove. Sure wish the hands had been reversed.