Saturday, September 29, 2012

How The Heck Did I Do That?




"Another Saturday (Friday) night that I ain't got nobody.  I got some money cause I just got paid"  (Sam Cooke)

Friday night at the American Legion.  Nobody wants to deal as usual.  I make the proposition early with Mary that I volunteer to deal, but only table 2.  If I get knocked out early definitely do not want table 1 until 11 p.m.  Fortunately, I do not get knocked out but make the final table with a very unhealthy chip stack, probably 2nd or 3rd shortest.  The dealer for table 1 got knocked out earlier and asks me to deal, which I refuse telling him that I play sooooo bad when I deal.  So, we get to deal with a dealer with attitude.

Amazingly, people quickly get knocked out.  The shortest stack (not even one big blind) goes out the first hand.  Then unexpectedly some big stacks collide in a multiway pot and 2 more or gone.  They are paying 5 places tonight and I see some opportunity to cash.  Down to 6, we agree to pay the bubble their $40 back.  Allrighty then.  The bubble is soon gone and we step up in pay grade.  Love it when that happens.  Then a crazy thing happens.  The two chip leaders......massive stacks get all-in, with the chip leader top pair and the 2nd leader with middle pair.  Suddenly we are down to 4 and I am not even short stack!  He is gone, and with only one blind left I soon follow in 3rd place which is good for $127.  Wow!!!  Very unexpected, and with my dealer money to come later, should finish with about an $85 profit.  Nice.

Comments on a hand:  In a 3 way pot, lots of money in it, a player shoves her last $200 into the $2000 pot on a flop of A/8/8.  A very good player who has many more chips than me calls the 200 and I fold.  She has nothing, he has called with nothing, and her unimproved hand wins.  I would have taken the pot with a pair on the river.  I would have called too for pot odds, which is why he justified his call, but with me behind him, even though I had checked already could not overcall.  The power of position I guess.  Did not want to get bluffed off the pot later.

Another side note:  Don't you just hate it when another player can look into your soul, not to mention your hand.  A player called my exact hand twice.  The first he said, "Black 7's?" as he folded.  I had pocket 7's, however one was red.  The second time i carefully counted my chips before folding to his raise and he said, "Ace Ten", which exactly what I had, suited.  Don't you just hate being in a hand with Daniel Negraneu?  This player finished 4th.  Same player who was in the hand described above.

No comments: