Sunday, September 9, 2012

Overcalling Shoves

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), the weakest calls I see are overcalls of shoves.  You must be strong (or at least have a huge chip stack) to call a shove.  In order to overcall, you must be superstrong or have a dominating chip stack over the 1st caller.  An example from this morning's tournament, I shoved with JJ and am called by A/10.  A fairly short stack (but more than mine) overcalls with A/9.  The flop is 10/9/9 and I am gone.  Very sick.

Another example, from an online game, I shove with QQ am called by one weak ace and AQ then a big stack overcalls all of these calls (I have a very healthy chip stack, but he has me barely covered) with K/6 offsuit.  Naturally, with all the power against him, he spikes a king.  Frankly I do not understand his play.

So, after getting knocked out this morning at the 8:00 tournament, I show up for the 10:00.  I drift along most of the tournament with starting chip stack and make the final table as one of the short stacks.  Miraculously, after getting down to 3 big blinds, make some double ups, start catching some great cards.  Ended up chopping 2 ways (I had the most chips) for $480 each.  Nice win!!!   

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Glad you did well in the 10:00. I couldn't believe either one of the calls to your J-J. (Probably because I HATE A-10). By the way, the Saturday 12:30 tournament at Jokers is no more. It has been replaced by a $40 Omaha high only tournament on the same day at 3pm. 5,000 chips to start. Think I'll try it.