Saturday, April 21, 2012

Reading Material

Playing at the Legion last night I was asked to deal table #1.  I hate dealing and playing.  It is difficult to do either well.  With a small showing (several players at Wildhorse Poker Roundup in Pendleton) and only 2 tables I agreed, plus the tips normally cover your buy-in so it is like a freeroll.

Getting hurt early on some big draws I tightened up, getting back in the game with pocket kings and another hand.  Limping on the button, the big blind checked and the flop came king high with two hearts.  He bet $250 and I called with my K/10.  I thought after calling that I had made a huge mistake letting a flush draw in too cheap and not "defining his hand" with a raise in position.  The turn brought the dreaded third of the suite and he bet about the same amount.  Again, like a donk, I just called.  The river was a blank and he shoved.  I thought for a moment or two, and barely having him covered I called.  He meekly asked before turning over his hand "do you have a pair?", so I knew I had snapped his ace high bluff.  Just had a feeling about him, being a young gun and pretty aggressive.

Later I made two seperate calls for a lot of chips against another bluffer, and almost knocked another player who was on tilt and shoved from the small blind.  I instantly called with K/10 and won against his J/3 offsuit.  He was really upset and could not stop raving about my "snap call".  Overall, I think that I was just making some very good reads and good calls with less than the nuts. 
At the end of the day, we chopped  $630 three ways plus I made my buy-in back from tips.  Great night!

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

So, it turns out that dealing wasn't so bad afterall . . . LOL. Good job.

I am on another short hiatus from poker. Saving for a trip in June for my granddaughter's graduation from Waldport High. The coast! Yippee! See you soon.