Saturday, April 28, 2012

Catching Your Outs

Last night at the American Legion I was hoping to repeat my victory last week.  Seated at the same table as the other two players I chopped with I recognized a tough field.  The dealer was excellent, two other players, excellent, one older calling station, one tight aggressive player, and a calling station lady.  I hunkered down early, playing tight and increasing my stack about 1/3 playing aggressively in position on scary flops.  I then lost some chips raising in middle position with QJ suited and flopping the straight draw which failed to materialize, losing to a flush draw that missed but spiked a king.

Limping in late position with 5/5 and 5 players in the pot (is that a sign or what?), the flop was high with 2 clubs.  I went ahead and bet small, getting one fold.  The turn was the 5 of clubs and I came out firing 500.  Everyone folded but the calling station on the button who flat called.  The turn failed to pair the board but also put a possible straight out so I checked.  She had only 175 remaining which she bet, calling I am shown AK of clubs.  Ouch.  No 5 on the turn and I shut down.  So far, not running good on draws with lots of outs both times.

With about 1300 in chips remaining and blinds at 100/200 I pick up QQ with a couple of limpers.  I shove and the big stack calls with 5/5.  Doubling up and hopeful I then run into this hand:  An active player raises a couple of hands in a row, showing AQ once, then raises to 600.  I have J/J, so I ship it and he calls with A/10 suited in hearts.  The flop is ace high all clubs and I have the jack of clubs.  Naturally my 11 outs (twice) fail to deliver and now I am down to 400 chips with blinds at 200/400.

Last hand goes calling station limp, my all-in with A/4 suited, limp, limp, check.  Not good.  The flop is A/K/J, so when the first limper min-bets figure I am way behind.  Next limper shoves a huge stack and blind calls with first bettor folding.  Know I am way behind, but hoping for no Q/10.  Shover turns over KJ, for two pair, caller shows K/10 for pair plus gutshot.  Bad but not horrible news.  Lots of outs after the 7 is turned.  I need one of the 2 probable remaining aces (limper folded one I am certain), one of the 3 4's,  or one of the 3 sevens for 8 outs.  Fail!

No comments: