Friday, April 6, 2012

Dumb & Dumber (subtitled: Lucky & Luckier)

One of my favorite movies, really!!! I can sometimes relate so well to the characters, particularly at the end when they chase down the Hawaiian Tropics suntan girl's bus to correct their wrong directions to a town where they might find a couple of guys willing to travel with them.

My story involves losing my slim winnings two days in a row to two different players. Let's give them the nicknames of "Nemesis I" and "Nemesis II". The first one is a guy who from conversation is an old regular who has returned. He has show a steady profit every day playing tight but aggressive. My type of player. I lost 100% of my profit to him on two hands. The first I turned a nut straight with my 3/6, betting $20 into a medium pot. He called and the river paired the board with a third heart. He bet $20 and I folded. Maybe a good fold, maybe not as at best playing to a split pot.

The second hand was much uglier. Playing 2/2 in a multi-way raised pot the flop came 2/7/10. My nemesis bet $12 and with other callers I flat called as to not drive off the customers. The turn is a queen and he bets $20 with one caller, now I raise. He re-raises and the other player also calls, so I again call( almost out of chips...$10 remaining). River, Queen. My last $10 goes in to see his 10/Q take the pot. Sick. I leave stuck.

Next day, "nemesis I" playing again, I change seats to gain position on him. But I win the one pot we enter together. Yes!!! However now Nemesis II moves into action. This is where I relate to dumb and dumber. Under the gun I see 10/10. I like this hand, but don't love it, so I just limp (my error as you will see) to see the flop cheap and possibly trap. The flop is great for me 8/2/4 rainbow. I bet $10 and the small blind (Nemesis) calls. The turn is another undercard, I bet $20, he calls. River pairs the 8, he bets 20, I call. He shows his full house 8's full of 2's. Unbelievable. He is a very tight player and would have folded preflop to any bet from me. I manage to lose $60.

Next hand against him was kind of weird. Playing 8/9 suited, one of my favorites, the flop is J/8/Q with two of a suit (not mine). Aaron bets $2 and everyone calls the ridiculous small bet. The turn brings another of the other suit that flopped...can't remember the denomination, but not a 10 which I was looking for. Aaron again bets $2 and this time nemesis raises to $20 saying something about getting rid of flush draws. At this time, as he is a "cagy codger", I suspect larceny or a flush draw so I call with my pair plus straight draw. The river pairs the 8 giving me trips, so when he bets (everyone else folded), I raise it to $40. He re-pops it to $60, perhaps thinking I am trying to re-steal, and I call. he reveals his 2nd full house against me (slow played his flopped set of jacks). Told you he was cagy. Anyway, the two hands represented my drop from profitability to a $70 loss for the day.

No comments: