Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Loose Aggressive

Emailing my old high school buddy, Don, about WSOP strategy (he is playing in an event this year), I began reading about loose aggressive players vs. tight aggressive.  Deciding to try it in the big $25 Moose buy-in morning tournament I found some early success by calling raises in position with gapped connectors (flopped a straight once).  Usually those hands would go into the muck preflop.

Anyway, a funny story.  Different tournament, an unnamed regular (big, ugly, crude) plays super aggressive, super loose and usually either cashes or goes home early.    He had doubled up through a donkey and literally was playing every hand, raising most of them.  I found myself fairly short stacked against his pre-flop raise and decided to shove with 5/5.  Another player behind me, with a fair stack called and Mr. Loose overcalls.  I think the preflop raise was something like $300 and I reraised to around $900.  Anyway, the flop comes 8/x/x and it goes check check.  Great.  The turn brings another heart and the first caller shoves.  Mr. Aggressive gets very irritated and mucks his 5/8 offsuit face up.  The bettor into the dry pot turns over no pair and a heart draw with overcards.  The river bricks and I rake the pot. LOL!!!!!!  Mr. Aggressive fumed and went totally on tilt, which is difficult to distinguish from his normal play, and bubbled out.  Alas, I also failed to cash but it was worth the show.  He had knocked me out several weeks ago overcalling two calls of a big stack shove with K/10 offsuit against my AK and had spiked the 10.  Words were exchanged then and basically I have ignored him since.

Two good articles on LAG vs. TAG play:\\

http://ezinearticles.com/?Loose-Aggressive-Vs-Tight-Aggressive-Play-in-Poker-Tournaments&id=1134926

http://www.parttimepoker.com/tight-aggressive-vs-loose-aggressive-play-in-holdem-tournaments

No comments: