Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mistakes were Made

Early departure last night at the Legion tournament.  Played far too many hands and had a bad table draw.  To my Immediate left, Darryl (bluffing calling machine), Terry (calling station), Unknown (Self proclaimed Calling Donkey), New kid (no clue), Larry (excellent player, cashed in the WSOP Seniors this year), Don (likes to limp with monsters).  Early on limped with A/8 suited, flop came A/J/6 and early position limper bets...I raise in position.  Self proclaimed Donkey calls with 9/10, turn is 8, checked to me, I bet 400 (pot) with my 2 pair.  River is queen, check to me....I check back and lose to the runner runner straight.  He comments, "I was waiting for you to bet", I reply, "Not in this lifetime, you will have to do your own work".  Now short, I take half the clueless kid's chips when he calls my pair of aces with KQ high.  He loses the rest to Darryl who flopped a straight with J/9 and the kid turns two pair with 9/5.  Dang it, I wanted those chips!!!

I get back in the game when Larry raises in middle position with two calling stations in the blinds and I reraise with my AA.  Larry calls, the flop is small, he checks, I go all in, he folds.

Next notable hand, I pick up a flush draw & straight draw, lose to SP Donkey's weak ace pair.  He wins another big pot later (not against me) with runner runner flush playing an 8/2 suited.  Donkey!!!! 

Next, I raise in early position with suited A/10, Darryl calls, flop is small, I C-Bet minimum, he calls.  Turn another medium card, I min bet, he raises, I call with my overcards.  River blank, I check, he bets big, I fold.

Last hand of the tournament.  Lots of limpers @ 120 BB level, I am in BB when Sandy in late position min raises.  I have the A/2 offsuit, and knowing all the calling stations will call, I go ahead and call thinking that with only 1000 and change left I am getting pretty good odds in a big pot.  The flop is 2/3/4, giving me bottom pair and gutshot straight with an overcard.  We all check to Sandy and she pets pot, 1000.  I think for a moment and try to "put her on a hand".  If she is betting into weakness with a big ace, AK,AQ, AJ or a middle pair say 7's through Jacks, that would be consistent.  I have all raising ace hands crushed and drawing to 3 outs.  I have an overcard to all pairs except AA, 22, 33 and 44.  And I have a gutshot straight draw.  I think my odds are bad but not horrible and I might even be ahead.  I call for all but 30 last chips.  The turn (every one else folds) is a jack, and I bet my last 30.  She calls and turns over pocket 4's for the flopped top set.  Drawing to 3 outs, I miss and am gone before the first break.  Oh well.   Reviewing my play I would say that there were lots of hands I should have just folded preflop, but like my aggression.  Just unfortunate that everyone's draws but mine came in.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I tend to play too many hands also. I'm sorry you didn't cash. I took 2nd last Friday at Jokers (had the afternoon off) and was able to play all weekend on that money, so I was happy even though I didn't cash in any other tournaments. I probably won't play this weekend as I'm saving for July 17's tourney in Pendleton.