Saturday, May 14, 2011

Premonitions

Sometimes you just do not feel the love.  I considered not playing the Friday night Legion tournament because my online game was running pretty bad and my wife beat me in a game of spite and malice (fun couple card game if you are not familiar).  But, having missed last week decided to go for it.  Right away I got a horrible table draw.  The dealer was my arch nemesis, Carl, and seated to my immediate left was a very nice unnamed man who is widely known as a loose calling luckbox.  Also to my left was a good tight player, another player who has been known to get very lucky against me, an Hispanic man known for loose wild and lucky calls, plus an unknown quantity woman that I have never played with.  I had a bad feeling.  The first or second hand I won a small pot and later almost doubled up when hitting a straight on the river (open end flop playing QJ vs. 4/4 early position raise).  I was playing very few hands getting mostly unplayable cards when this occurred.  With blinds at 60/120 and two limpers ahead of me I was dealt AK suited.  Raising to 300 all folded to the limpers who both called.  With a king high flop it was check, then the unknown lady bet 500, I raised to 1000, the other limper folded and she called.  With most of her chips in the pot, when another face card hit we both checked (I probably should have put her all in, but I think she was pot committed, so not tooo bad on my part).  The river was a queen and she bet only 200 into me.  I called and she announced 2 pair, KQ.  Done in by her 3 outer.

At this point I was below original chip stack and slightly on tilt, so when it was folded to my small blind a couple of hands later I see A/10 and overbet the pot, making it 630 to go.  Mr. loose caller calls and the flop is 8 high.  I check, he checks, no point in betting with my short stack and the loosest caller on the planet in the hand.  The turn is a jack, I check he bets 200....I call.  The river, blank, he fires another 200, I fold.  He is incapable of bluffing I know from previous experience and incapable of folding any pair.  Now really short stacked I have only one move.  After the break with 100/200 blinds I am dealt AQ of hearts in early position.  Shove, call from big blind.....AK.  One heart on the flop, along with a king, king on the turn, done.

Going home early I play in two SNG tournaments, coming in 3rd in one and winning the other.  Below is a great hand that ruled, but my last winning hand was pocket queens vs. J8 on a flop of 9/10/Q .  I rivered a 10 for the full house.  Why can't I get that lucky live?

  

No comments: