Monday, February 2, 2009

My Fortunes Improve

Sunday tournament at the moose was great for me. I think I played a smart game, didn't take many dumb chances (2 all-ins with great hands), and ended up chopping $1290 three ways. Sweet! Saw some big hands, quad queen flopped and straight flush rivered, but fortunately wasn't in the hands. If only my cash game could compete with tournament play. I have given back most of my winnings over Sat/Sun/Mon. Got frustrated with Marco tonight. He acts like he is this great player when he just sometimes gets very lucky. The one seat on the 4/8 had wiped out 3 players for over $600, then he sits down and flops quad queens for high hand worth $150, and cleans up generally. I had pocket queens one hand, raised preflop, he calls with j/10. O.K. I would call too. The flop is q/8/3 offsuit, a very nice flop for me. I bet, he calls. The turn gives him a 7 for a gutshot. I bet he calls. The river is of course the 9 when you are a donkey luckbox for his straight. When I whine about him chasing, he says "I could have check-raised you, but I bet it out". Thanks a bunch donkey.

Frustrated, I quit after losing my chips, and play an online 45 person SNG and come in 3rd, only because one player got lucky on me twice, chasing my top pair with a middle pair and hitting 2 pair on the river......And that folks is why I usually prefer tournament play, I can protect against that most of the time with big enough bets, except for the occasional idiot.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Thanks for the comments on my "donkey" move against Gary. I always over-think myself about these things later and I come up with most of the same things that you do, so I guess I'm not entirely ignorant. At the time it feels that way, though. I'm glad you split the tournament. You deserved it! And I agree with 100% about Marco. He annoys me so much sometimes, especially with his little move of showing one card at a time. Arrrrgh!! Have fun and I'll see you (hopefully) this Saturday or Sunday.