Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Worst Lay Down In History

I am on serious tilt right now because of a very stupid laydown. The 3/6 game at the Moose was o.k. except for a drunk truck driver from Minnesota who felt he must raise every hand. His chip stack at one time approached $500, but I knew it would not last. When someone suggested we switch to 4/8, we had some who refused, so I suggested 10/20 over buttons. I was stuck about $100 or so at the time. The trucker and Frank both took one too, excellent. I ended up heads up with him at least once with the best hand, and quickly got unstuck. His stack dwindled and eventually had to rebuy for another $100, but he continued to ram and jam with almost any two cards. I finally picked up pocket queens, so I rejam and we are capped with Dan also in the pot. The flop is small, but coordinated 10 high with a couple of smallish cards and he bets, I raise, he reraises, and Dan comes along. Truthfully, I have no idea of where I am in this hand. Dan, mumbles something about 2 pair, and I try to disregard this information, or possible misinformation. The turn card pairs the 6 already on the board, and trucker bets out. I call and Dan calls. Still no clue where I am, but if Dan truly had 2 pair, he just filled up, and would not raise to drive away customers. The river is a king...great.... trucker bets, Dan comments that this is his pot, and prepares to call. I am not sure where I am, but suspect that I am behind at least trips so I fold, despite the enormous size of the pot and given my pot odds for a bluff or worse pair. Trucker claims to have missed his straight flush draw and dan shows 10/9 for a pair of 10's. I am now enormously on tilt, and immediately quit & go to the cable for the omaha tournament which I am first out with no hand remotely close to winning or any hand played to river. The cash games goes as bad, so I head to the tournament. I am doing fine, winning quite a few pots until the small blind raises my A/10 preflop. I call to see the flop with the assumption that he would raise with: A. Any ace or B. Any pair. The flop is Ace, King, something and he goes all in. I call with no hesitation to see AQ. The turn however brings my kicker, but the relief is short lived with a Jack on the river for his straight. Suck and re-suck.

On a brighter note, my friend Bob Pishel hit the royal in diamonds for $700 something. Sweet, except I was in the pot with pocket queens.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Oh, dear. It seems like we just keep gettng the worst of it and making comments to make each other feel better about it - silly, huh? I feel badly for you with the pocket queens. I think if it was me in that situation, I would have had to call just to make sure I wasn't being bluffed because of the size of the pot. If someone stayed in the whole way with a king, then they get rewarded for bad play. Dan probably believed he had the best hand, so you can't really blame him for staying in. The drunk guy was, well, the drunk guy. I hate to say you should have called, but . . . . I hope you do better this weekend!! (Unless you're in a hand with me, naturally.)