Friday, March 15, 2019

Missed steaks

No, I have not become a vegan.  Yesterday's bounty tournament started well for me but there were too many "Missed steaks".  The first one was at 100/200 blind level, in the BB.   UTG limps, 2 UTG raises to 600, next player calls.  I fold Q/7, limper calls.  Flop comes 7/7/9, check, check, bet 400.  All fold I go crap, folded 7.  Guy next to me says I was getting 5 or better to one on my money.  He is right.  I hate playing average hands out of position to a raise, but math should have ruled.

Next missed steak was a good decision at the time, but forgot I was playing turbo.  Pocket 2's in early position, blinds 200/400, 3500 in my stack.  A lot of players open shove here, but I am trying to be smarter.  Fold. Late position bigger stack shoves with A/K, called by next player who has Q/Q.  Good fold until a 2 on the flop and I miss my triple up opportunity. 

Last one. Blinds are 500/1000, I am small blind, folded around to me.  I have a total of 3000 chips and lucky me, A/K.  I shove, big blind thinks briefly (He has big stack courtesy of an earlier triple up hitting 2 outer on river vs. flopped set), and calls with 3/6.   Naturally, he hits a 6 and knocks me out.  My missed steak?  Should have just called.  That way he has opportunity to bluff raise preflop or I execute the "stop and go" maneuver.  Either way preferable.  When you have no fold equity be careful with shoves. 


1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

My thoughts in case you want them:

1st paragraph: I think this is a good fold even if you're getting good odds. It's early in the tournament and it's a bad hand.

2nd paragraph: Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but you can't really raise with such a small pair (at least I wouldn't) and when it comes right down to it, when the player shoved you would probably fold 22 anyway.

3rd paragraph: I believe you played this correctly. If you try the old stop and go a big stack will probably call you anyway especially considering that he flopped a pair.

Just putting in my 2 cents!