Saturday, March 30, 2019

Adopting Orphans

Before getting into my main topic, a quick update.  After running spectacularly good, with 4 final tables in a row, have come back to earth.   Not calling them bad beats exactly, but last two tournaments got it in very good but lost.  First one shove with A/K, called by K/Q.  Gotta love the matchup.  He hits a queen.  😥  Next tournament, UTG next to me raises big with A/Q suited, I shove roughly his stack with K/K.  He calls, flops two spades and rivers the third.  Bad luck.  First case am 75% to win, 2nd case am 68%.  Like I said running bad.

So, thinking about the poor orphan pots, you know, the ones you are on the button and everyone checks the flop, the turn and/or the river.  Do you adopt these orphans?  I think we miss an opportunity if we don't.  However, there are dangers.   You leave yourself open to traps and to strong check raise bluffs.  If your opponents are not prone to do either, and you have a hand that cannot win a showdown, I say steal away.  Remembering a game from years ago, this old regular would always bet the river if checked to him on the button.  I watched this happen many times, suspecting shenanigans.   Finally, decided to test my theory the next time he did it by check raising him with nothing.  He folded with a very hurt look and didn't do it again all session.


1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I love the button. Orphan pots are my favorites. I probably take down about 75% of them by betting on the button if it's checked around to me. Many times I will also bet if the flop is checked and it works a lot especially on a dry board.

I'm playing a small tournament tonight. Wish me luck!