Sunday, August 26, 2018

Comeuppance

After a nice run was due for a fall and it came today.  Arriving plenty early (I thought) for the big end of month tournament at about 10:15, was planning to miss the last minute sign up rush for the $230 buy in.  Boy was I late!  Informed by the tournament director that I was alternate #28, thought he was kidding.  Nope.  Ultimately over 80 alternates and re-entries I was looking at a possible 2 hour wait to get in.  The blinds just keep going up so would be at level 4 in two hours at first break.  With 12000 starting chips, blinds at 200/400, you are in bad shape, specially with other players nicely chipped up.  Decided to withdraw if I did not get in before the break, but made it with 15 minutes to spare.

Very card dead but picked up blinds a few times with raises, but no action.  At level 6 or 7 with only 7000 in chips, called a min raise with one limper in front of him holding 10/10.  First pair of my tournament, and with a short stack, I shoved my last 5000 on the J/J/9 flop after a check and a 2000 bet from original raiser.  The limper called for all of his chips, and so did the raiser.  Limped had Q/Q, raiser K/K.  Rut-Row!  The turn was a 7, giving me 6 outs for a set or the straight.  River brick sent me to the rail.  My problem was lack of fold equity.  Too small a stack to scare off the others, plus with a bigger stack could have waited for the turn or river to shove as a jack in my hand slow plays. 

Now on the wait list for omaha, I finally get a seat.  Terrible luck there and I leave a poorer but wiser player a few hours later.

  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I absolutely despise being an alternate and will not even bother. That's why I tend to go eat breakfast or lunch before tournaments - so I can sign up nice and early and not worry about it. It's too bad it didn't work out for you especially after such a long wait. Blah.

My next tournament probably won't be until after my mini vacation. I'm sticking to 3-6 and tournaments. Need to save for Pendleton next.

Good luck!