Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Profitable Turnaround

My poker day started off poorly with  a $109 loss in the 4/8 limit game prior to the tournament.  No luck in the tournament either with my 8's falling to A/10.  Going back to the 4/8 I was stuck another $235 before a seat opened in the 1/3/300 game.  I am such an idiot for playing in a bigger game after getting my ass kicked in the small games and tournament.

However, after buying in for $270, I ultimately cashed out for over $800.  My big win was a $700 pot won by my flopped 2 pair K/J vs. A/A.  Doubled up a couple of small stacks or would have been an even better day, still netted over $150 in 5 hours.

Side note on double ups of others.  First was vs. 2 pair with my AQ vs. Q10.  GLAD he was a short stack with only $100 behind, he is a solid player who usually has much more.  That said, good lesson here.  When playing against solid players, top pair top kicker is usually no good and I should fold.  Against looser players, specially short stacks, much more likely to see QK or QJ.  Another double up happened when I had KK and raised to $20 preflop.  A very loose player to my immediate right called with 9/10.  He caught a 9 on the flop and called a $40 bet.  Another 9 hit the turn and he called my 40 bet, then shoved a very small stack on the river.  Every pot I saw him win was with crap...like 7/3, etc.  Very loose, very bad.

It is normal for you to win chips from players on your right due to position.  It was unusual that I lost a couple of pots to him, and yet won nice pots from the more aggressive, better player to my left who also was very deep stacked.  Was flat out lucky with medium strength hands and got in great value bets.  Which brings me to the topic of "when are you going to stop overplaying your medium strength hands, stupid?"  Just lucky yesterday or could have been a very sad story indeed.

No comments: