Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Money for nothing

Just listening to some classic 70's soft rock.  I have come to love the Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing".  Googling the lyrics, you understand it is a song written from the perspective of some working class blue collar guys who are mocking and envying the rock and roll band guys.  Ironic, eh?  There was criticism over the use of the word "faggot", but I find that argument spurious as they are really describing themselves, including banging on bongos like a chimpanzee.

www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/direstraits/moneyfornothing.html

Side notes, Sting sings the falsetto in beginning and end.  From their Sultans of Swing album which contains my other favorite song of theirs from the album title.



2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

It's a great song, but I have to disagree with you on the word "faggot". I've just never personally liked the word and find it derogatory in the "N" word vein. It's just me. I do like Sultans of Swing.

I love the "oldies" - LOL. I love "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. It just rocks. Hard to believe it's over 50 years old. I guess that's what makes it classic!

Unknown said...

Thanks for reintroducing me to Dire Straits Money for Nuthin. :)
BTW, the older I get the more "Fleetwood Mac" sounds like a truck.