Saturday, April 21, 2018

Home (in) On The Range

A key skill is figuring out a preflop player's raising range.  What cards would he raise with in which position?  Some players are easy peasy because they play such tight ranges, others not so much.  I regularly play against an older fellow who cagily, he thinks, always min raises in early position with aces.  Have seen it several times.  It is so great to call in position with a wide range and either fold on the flop or get it all in when you hit big like two pair or a set.

 My nemesis described in a previous post was again sitting to my immediate right in a tournament last week.  Shit!  His range is pretty much any two cards.  So, after he survived two all ins with crap (did i mention he is very lucky too?), this hand came up.  He raised from the big blind.  I had limped utg with 6/6, doing me some set mining.  There were 2 other callers.  The flop was j/j/5.  He put out a "c" bet of maybe 1/3 pot size.  I called, the others folded.  At this point i felt i had him as no way is he betting trips here, but had to worry about the other players.  The turn was a queen and he looked warily at me and checked.  Trapping or squadooch?  I checked back giving myself the opportunity to fill up.  The river was a 9, and he bet almost pot size.  A bad call cripples me.  Our table had just broken and the tournament was on hold awaiting my decision.  I tanked and considered his range for way out of position preflop raise.  All pairs, A/9, A10, AJ, AQ, AK, 10K, 10/Q, 10J, JQ, JK.  What could I beat here?  Probably only 2s, 3s, or 4s.  Finally I folded as my stack was just o.k. and he flips over A/3.  Given his range, I was a little upset but not as much as when he knocked me out later with his A/Q call of my 9/10 suited shove.  He would not have had enough chips to do so had I made the earlier call.

Quick side note on my shove.  In a turbo with only 6 blinds, this is definite late position material.  I much prefer this over weak aces and small pairs. Yesterday in the Omaha game won $100 high hand with it, making a king high straight flush😎

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Hey, I'm with you 100% on the 9-10 suited. That's one of my all time favorite hands along with 8-9 and J-10 (suited naturally). Those suited connectors will kill the big cards most of the time. I'd almost rather go all-in with them than one big pair (and I have done so).

Nice hand with the straight flush!