Monday, November 2, 2015

Tripped Up On Final Table




It has frankly been too long since "Mr. Final Table" has made a final table at the Legion tournament. So despite the distraction of dealing, which I have not done for a couple of weeks, I managed to get to the table with a decent pile of chips.  On the route I knocked a couple of players out which is sort of unusual for me.  The first was super sweet as I had turned the nut flush vs. a small flush and we got them all in.  I missed an earlier opportunity to stack a couple of players when I folded my A2 of diamonds to a rather large (for that stage of the tournament) pre-flop bet.  It made me sick to see the three diamond flop and tons of 2 way action.  The winner of the hand eventually had most of the chips on the final table and would not have made it there if I had played a little looser.  But, as I have said many times, good decisions are good decisions and have to be separated from outcomes.

At the FT I scored the first knockout with my AK vs. a small pair.  Sliding into the money (paying 6, no bubble talk), There were 5 of us left when I was dealt K/10 two under the gun.  I like K10, and not really a premium hand to shove with, but only 5000 chips left and blinds going to 1000/2000 next hand.  So, decided to shove and hope.  The next player to me pretty much insta-called with AJ suited.  So, getting my money in bad was delighted to see a 10 on the flop.  Not out of the woods, but another 10 on the turn had my heart soaring like an eagle!!! (this is where I would normally interlace my fingers and make a flying gesture with them....like an eagle flying....get it?....never mind).  I did not really pay attention to the river with a lock on this hand and neither did the dealer as she shoved me the pot.  Not so fast says the other player as he points out that the river card put a third diamond on the board to go with the two in his hand.  Hmmm, nut flush beats trips I suppose.  But, happy enough to finally cash ($98 less $6 tip).  My tip money should cover most of the buy-in, so a very righteous win.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Yeah, never get excited too soon. I was watching the main event of the WSOP on TV last night. A guy holding J-10 flopped the jack high straight. His opponent called his all-in with QQ. The board came runner-runner 8-8 and the QQ filled up. Yuck! That's just nasty.

Good job on the win!