Saturday, November 21, 2015

Playing Some Worst Hand Wins

I will have to admit to being a luck box last night.  Getting it in bad on multiple occasions I was indeed fortunate to make the final table.  It seemed like all night long the best hand would get crushed on the river.  Here are some examples:

Playing the 6/8 in the un-raised big blind, the turn card put these out:  2/3/4/5 with 2 clubs.  It gets bet by the small blind.  I call.  The turn is a king (clubs), and the small blind bets bigger.  I call.  He turns over the A/x of clubs.  Unreal.  He made the dumb end of the straight on the turn but his flush draw would not have folded (he claimed) had I raised...which I thought briefly of doing.

The first hour was a virtual bloodbath on my table, with huge pots and big swings in chip stacks.  The very good player to my left got spanked twice with his pocket jacks, then I took a huge pot from him with my flopped set of 3's vs. his J/10 two pair.  I ended up knocking him out when I shoved my J/8 (yes j/8) into his AK on a button vs. small blind (what the heck was I thinking?).  I managed to river a straight....worst hand wins.

At the final table I was in the money with 6 players remaining and short stacked.  I saw J/9 of diamonds UTG and shoved my 4 or 5 Big blinds.  The player to my left shoved his big stack and I knew I was in trouble.  Yep, aces.  Oh well.  The dealer seemed to delight in bringing the river card to bail out the worst hand and he did so with a straight for me.  Now doubled up I again got it in bad with QJ vs. A/7 suited.  Not a problem as the turn gave me an open-ender and the river brought the ace for my broadway straight.

As they say, what goes around comes around and my turn was definitely coming.  A player had just eliminated someone by rivering an ace on her AJ vs. 7/7 so when I shoved from the button with KQ and 10,000 in chips (blinds at 1/2,000), she "naturally" called with 7/10 of clubs.  The turn brought a gutshot straight draw on top of a flopped flush draw and the river was a club of course.  Worst hand wins poker at its finest.

Overall I have no reason to complain as I cashed for $90 plus dealer money from table 4 and like I said, got lucky with the worst hand several times.   

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Well, by golly, it's about time YOU got lucky right? It's so hard to be patient and play (usually) right and see everyone else get lucky with crap. Good deal making some money too.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday. :)