Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Why We Play

While playing the $40 deepstack Joker's tournament in Richland Friday, I had a discussion with someone who is an excellent player, WSOP player (You too Lynne).  We were talking about why we play poker.  That got me thinking.  He claimed to play because he enjoys the "decision making process".  For him that is probably true as he is an old time Hanford employee making big bucks so the small profit he might enjoy is probably pretty inconsequential.  So here are some "reasons" to play.

For a Living

Obviously there are people who make their living doing this.  I equate that to playing professional sports as many of the best professionals are doing what they love and what?  I also get paid millions for it?  Sweet.  If I were able to make a living playing poker I would not only be doing something I love, but also profiting from it.  Doesn't get much better than that.  I have heard the expression, " A hard way to make an easy living" and it probably applies with all the variance everyone experiences.  We try to always move up to the next level of play, and as we do, run into increasing skill levels.  If you don't believe this, play a little 3/6 limit, then buy into a 2/5 no limit game sometime.  The typical "grinder" I see in Vegas plays those low limit games due to his/her very large skill advantage.  Sitting next to a guy one night, we were both racking up big stacks and began chatting.  He was a cabbie and when not driving would hit the tourist games.  I play so much that he could tell that I was an out of state grinder.  He claimed an average daily win of around $200, which equates to $4000 a month tax free income, or more like $70,000 in a taxable job.  Not too bad.

Love of the Game

This was also stated as a reason.  If you love doing something, you usually are pretty good at it, thus you are a winning player which finances your tournament and cash game buy-ins.  You go girl!  If you love it but are not so good it becomes an expensive hobby (think golf), but you stick with it.  I think most players do love the game for whatever other reasons they might play.  It is entirely possible to have multiple motivations for any actions.  The biggest danger in my mind is confusing our reasons, thus deluding ourselves as to the whys.

Love of Competition

Will have to confess here that my primary motivation lies in this area.  I have always been a very competitive person although will also have to confess that I certainly lack advanced skills in many of the areas I have competed in.  Here is an example:  Many years ago, when in my 30's, I played flag football.  Our team was virtually unstoppable having beaten the league champions by several touchdowns, and ultimately losing only to the all star team the league assembled.  Our front line consisted of a former NFL center, an all-american WSU shot putter, a weight-lifting fireman.  The quarterback was a former CFL player and his back up was a former Kamiakin starting quarterback.  We had a couple of very fast receivers who played college ball.  I did not play a single down in that particular game (take note, Brian Williams), but in a previous game had been paid a nice complement that I had the motivation and drive to have played pro ball (unsaid that I sorely lacked the physical skills).  I had the opportunity to play against a future NFL safety and knocked him down a few times until he figured out he could line up a few steps back and just run around, not through me.  Also, I have played racquetball on a tournament level and had a lot of trophies.  Again, it was motivation and drive, not particularly athletic skills that got me that far.  So, basically, I just enjoy competition and testing myself against the best I can find.  Sometimes coming up short, but love the challenge!

Income Supplement

If we are honest there are many players who add this element.  I would have to confess that it motivates me.  I really like the small profit I usually enjoy from participating in something I would do anyway (think play money internet games).  If I can win a few hundred bucks a month it is fine with me.  I think many players are in this category.  They really don't "need" the money but it is great to win some walking around cash.

Bored/Distraction from Problems

There are a few players who play recreationally to escape from their issues.  I try not to think about myself in this category, but will admit that too often I am playing online just to kill a few hours.  Of course the other elements for me also kick in but some folks are into pure escapism.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

I shall comment in order:

For a living: Don't I wish? If I could make a decent living doing nothing but play poker, I would be (to paraphrase Lou Gehrig) the happiest woman on the face of the earth. I kid you not. It's my dream.

Love of the game: Yup. You caught me. I absolutely love it. Best game ever. I love it so much I wish I had invented it LOL.

Love of competition: OMG. I had absolutely no idea I was so competitive until I started playing poker. I want to win every damn hand. It's hard for me not to go on tilt for this reason. I'm working hard to solve the tilt problem, but I will remain (hopefully) very competitive.

Income supplement: Wouldn't that be nice? You know me. I make a great profit and give it all back. If I want to make a living at poker or even supplement my income I had better stop doing that crap right?

Bored/distraction from other problems: I can honestly say that 99% of the time I do not do this. It is a terrible idea to play when bored or trying not to think about all the garbage going on in your life. (Naturally I always seem to have garbage going on in my life.) It's also a terrible idea to play if you are mad or sick or tired. Not me. I play bad enough as it is - ha!

Great blog. I enjoyed it very much.