Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Striking Out in the Tri-Cities

You know, a 6 hour drive to play poker just makes absolutely no sense, yet that is what I did last week.  I wanted to get in as many tournaments as possible and stay away from the (usual losing) cash game.  Friday morning I played two tournaments.  There were a ton of players, between 40 and 50 for this $25 buy-in turbo with $100 cash added.  Nice payouts, and with the big numbers playing 4 or 5 spots.  The first one was not memorable, finished around 15th place.  The second made the final table and lost to an aggressive button raiser with my A/5 suited in the big blind vs. his K/6 suited. He flopped a king, knocking me out 1 short of the money.

Saturday I also made the final table with tons of players.  I was 3rd in chips with 6 players remaining.  The short stack (he had lost most of his chips with his AA vs. AK), was all in short of the big blind.  with one limper plus the big blind I shoved from the button with AQ.  The big stack at the table made a horrendous decision to call with A/6 suited.  I flopped a queen but there were 2 of his diamonds on the flop.  Sure enough, a diamond hits the turn and two of us are out.  Wow.  Talk about a bad decision turning out well.  Had I won, chip leader.

Later that day I signed up for the $40 deepstack in Richland.  I really enjoy this one and have done well in the past due to the chips and structure.  Going deep with 42 players, I reach the final table and am in fair chip condition, maybe 38,000 with blinds at 2/4000.  Well, less than 10 blinds, so not that great.  There are 6 players remaining and they pay 3 spots.  I find the good old AQ in the small blind and when it is folded around to me I shove.  The big blind insta-calls and oops, he has AA.  I flop a queen for some hope but am gone.

Drifting back to Pasco I sign up for the cash game, mostly because my buddy Ron is playing and I have internet access there plus beverages!!!  Despite my misgivings buy in to the game for $100 and cash out several hours later for $203.  My win really was not due to great play (although I did play o.k.) but to hitting a "Monte Carlo" hand with my QQ on a queen high flop.  After my poker buddy Lynne bet into me I reminded her of my keepsake card protector (featuring QQ) and we checked to the river which was the other queen.  $100 quad hand which I normally share 25% with Ron, but at the other table he had hit the high hand for $100 so we had a wash on our sharing.

So, after 4 tournaments and one cash game, my financial scorecard was:

Tournament 1    -$25
Tournament 2   -$25
Tournament 3   -$25
Tournament 4   -$40
Cash game        +$103
Total for trip     -$12

With only a little touch of not bad luck at crucial tournament times would have had a huge weekend, probably in the $300-500 range.  C'est la vie.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Gee golly. I think driving 6 hours to play poker makes perfect sense! Everyone loved seeing you again. You must continue doing this once in a while even if you lose $12 instead of making $12. I know it seems silly but it's not. You almost paid for a tank of gas LOL. Any profit is still a profit right? What other excuses can I come up with for you to visit? Did I mention we all loved seeing you? I guess I will have to make a silly 6-hour drive someday soon to play poker at the American Legion and/or other places. Don't be a stranger! LOL