Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rookies Vs. Pro, No Contest

Friday night finally rolls around.  A whole week without live poker.  I am asked to deal final table, "no thanks", big mistake as that reimburses me for my buy-in.  Table draws are done by placing the seating cards on a drink serving tray.  One card is sort of hanging part way over the edge of the tray.  It beckons me.  Oh great, table 3, seat 6 at my dealer buddy Mike's table.  Let's see who shows up.  Seat one is a young kid, never seen him before.  I immediately peg him as a rookie.  Seat 2, another kid, also a stranger, definitely a rookie....may be his first tournament.  Seat 3 is Paul, a good, thinking player.  Seat 4 is a definite problem, Larry, a semi-pro player, WSOP regular, tricky guy.  Seat 5 next to me is John.   Rut row, but despite being a good player he has some leaks and is not over aggressive.  Seat 7 is another player named John, also a good solid player.  Seat 8 is a calling station, unnamed because he is a very nice guy.  Seat 9 is one of my all time nemesis players, very lucky and loose.

I lose some chips right away, flops just missing the heck out of me, recover with a flopped two pair of a super scary boart (3 hearts, co-ordinated).  Lose half my stack when seat 1 rookie check raises my bet in position (I had 9/10 vs. Q/9 with a 9 high flop).  John to my left is first out when my nemesis slow plays AA....he was just lucky I had not limped with my 4/6 on a 3/5/7 flop!!!!

Larry, playing fast and loose chips up nicely hitting flops with garbage hands and bluffing in position.  Then this hand comes up.  Blinds are 60/120, Paul is UTG and raises to 300.  Larry and John both fold and I check my cards.  AK offsuite.  With only $910 in chips it is clearly a "raise or fold" situation.  I elect to shove, hoping to end up heads up with Paul.  No such luck.  First the calling station calls, then the tournament rookie calls (not the other one that got half my chips).  Paul tanks, then folds.  The flop is middle cards, I think 5's paired on the turn, and the river is a 9.  Nobody has bet the side pot until the rookie bets 200, which is called by who else, the calling station.  He turns over AQ suited and loses to 10/10 which also knocks me out.

Now:  here is the problem:  I think Paul folded an ace.  Plus CS had an ace, so that only left me with possibly 5 outs, and it is even possible that Paul had the same hand as mine so maybe just 4.  It was a good fold on his part and I understand how a rookie could overcall a raise, shove and shove call with action behind him from the original raiser.  I would have folded 10's in that spot particularly since Mr. CS had a pretty good stack and original raiser had close to 1000 behind if he decided to come over the top.  Better lucky than good we say.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Well, phooey! It appears you should have dealt that darned final table - LOL.

I'm pretty much done with blogging. Sorry. I just don't have much to say, although I must admit that I was rather pleased with the outcome of the 10:00 a.m. tournament last Saturday. I got a bad beat (don't even remember what it was) when blinds were 1,000-2,000 and ended up with one red chip. Yours truly took that chip & eventually chopped first place with Gary Eller. I think I had to double up about 6 times. Sheesh.

Still feeling a bit burned out even with my great comeback. I'm only playing Sunday tournaments for awhile. FYI I will not be in town on Sunday the 15th.