Monday, May 5, 2014

Getting Bad Beats Out of My System Before Vegas

It is important to "cleanse your palate" when sampling fine wines.  Just as important, but not quite as widely known, is getting the bad beats out of the way in small tournaments before entering big ones that really matter.  With that thought in mind I purposefully got two horrible beats today.  In the morning Moose, with blinds at 25/25, I limped in with 5/5 and about 6 other limpers.  The flop was a thing of beauty, rainbow K/Q/5.  The player to my immediate right bet $150 after the blinds and one limper checked.  He had been active, trying to bluff a calling station, losing a ton of chips, then chipping back up to over starting chip stack.  I had missed a draw but recovered most of my chips on another hand.

I raised his $150 to $300 with a fairly wet board and he shoved with his K/T.  Call.  Turn was an ace, river was naturally a jack for his broadway backdoor straight.  Player down.

Not to be deterred, and wanting to purge myself of all possible bad beats, I signed up for the noon Bridge tournament.  Chipped up nicely, mainly through the chip leader who called my shove of AQ with A9 after second ace hit the turn, I am chip leader at my table, I flopped top pair with a flush draw to the queen (Q3 hearts in small blind).  I bet, am raised (had him covered) all-in.  He has a better flush draw with KJ of hearts.  Turn is a king and I am now the short stack.  Successfully shove with 3/3 and called in two places, hand holds up and am back in contention.

Final table, I flop middle pair from small blind on Q/J/3, bet, am raised all in by big blind, I fold (He flopped 2 pair (J/3), nice fold on my part.  Now short stack, player shoves with A/5, I call with A/10  He rivers a 5 and I am out.  A player who was on my table during the earlier tournament just sadly shook his head.

Real honestly, it is hard for me to second guess my play, as got all my chips in every time with the best hand.  These are just some bad beats that I got out of my system.

No comments: